Affirmations and Self-Talk
By Remez Sasson
Repeating positive statements or declarations, also called affirmations, is a self-talk technique for changing your attitude and developing positive habits.
It is an effective technique for self improvement, and for improving your life, because it imprints your intentions and desires on your subconscious mind.
This self talk methods works, because the subconscious mind accepts often-repeated thoughts, statements and commands. The subconscious mind does not make distinctions between negative and positive self-talk, and treats them both in the same way. This means that you have to be careful to choose only positive affirmations
Pay attention to what is going in your mind, and you will discover that your mind is a constant state of thinking. There is a constant self-talk activity going on. You can use this self-talk to your advantage, when you know how.
Constant repetition is the secret key. Repeating positive words and statements, instead of occupying the mind with useless or negative thinking is the key to its correct use.
Repeating affirmations is a powerful mental programming technique, which is not appreciated enough and is not well understood. There is a lot of information available on this subject nowadays, but few really know how to use it correctly, and fewer even try. To some, it seems just as a useless and impractical theory, but when well understood, it puts a wonderful and powerful tool in your hands.
To affirm means to "make firm", which means making your desired desire or goal firm or real. It is a process of making positive statements about your goal. A statement that is often repeated, affects the subconscious mind, which then uses it enormous power to find ways to make it come true.
You reap whatever your conscious mind sows into your subconscious mind. Your often repeated thoughts and words shape your character and your life, according to whether they are constructive or destructive.
Give this method a try. You have nothing to lose, but only to gain. Try repeating affirmation for a few weeks and see the results.
Guidelines for repeating affirmations - positive self talk
1. Always phrase your affirmations in the present tense. You want to achieve your goal now, not in some indefinable future. For example, if your goal is to find a job, don't say, "I will have a job", using the future tense. Say, "I have a well-paying and wonderful job, which I love and enjoy".
2. Use only positive and constructive words, describing what you really want to attain or achieve.
3. Be specific. Tell your mind exactly what it is that you want.
4. It is advisable to keep the affirmations short and easy to remember.
5. You should also include feelings and strong desire. You should feel and believe that what you are saying is already true. Feelings and emotions give life to your words.
6. You may repeat affirmations at any time you want or at special set times during the day. Immediately after waking up and before falling asleep are two very appropriate times, as at these times it is easier to get to the subconscious mind.
7. You may repeat affirmations aloud, mentally or by writing them down.
These are just basic instructions, but this self talk method will surely bring you results, if you follow the instructions.
Want to learn more about affirmations?
Find complete guidance, instructions and advice, as well as a list of affirmations, appropriate for almost every goal or situation in the book Affirmations - Words with Power.
Affirmations - Words with Power
Guidance, instructions, and hundreds of affirmations for every purpose, to help you find love, attract money, succeed in business, get rid of negative habits, increase self-confidence, and much more.
Learn about Affirmations