What do you do when you are walking on the pavement and wish to cross a small and narrow street, where there are no vehicles, but the light is red at the pedestrian’s crossing?
What do you if all the pedestrians are crossing the street, not heeding the traffic lights? Do you cross the street too, while the light is red, because everyone else is doing so?
Suppose you see all the people are crossing the street, but you stop and say, “I don’t care what they are doing, I am going to wait until the light changes.” You will most probably feel awkward and think that people are laughing at you or ridiculing you, because you are waiting for the light to change. You don’t want to attract undue attention and you don’t want everyone looking at you.
Do you know that you can use this situation to your advantage? You can use this situation to develop inner strength, courage, and decisiveness.
- Wait until the light changes. By doing so you develop inner strength. Wait not because you are afraid to cross the street or just because you are a law abiding citizen, which is good, but because by doing so you strengthen your self discipine.
- Ignore any feeling of inconvenience or ridicule that you might feel, because you are the only person not crossing the street.
- Resist the desire to cross the street. Ignore the little voice inside your head telling you to cross the street and be like everyone else.
- Stay patient until the light changes, even if you are in a hurry.
- Wait, even if you feel inner restlessness.
Do this the next time you are in this situation and see what happens. Are you strong enough to act in this way? If you succeed, you will feel a sensation of power and strength filling you. You will feel strong and powerful.
This is an exercise that teaches you self discipline, and strengthens your ability to control senseless inner impulses, control your thoughts, and develop patience, inner strength and the ability to abide by your decisions, despite external and inner pressure.
I Invite You to Subscribe to My Newsletter.
Join me to receive articles, advice, updates and inspirational quotes.