A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something.
– Wilson Mizner
Do you dominate the conversation or do you let other people talk too? There are a lot of people who like to talk about themselves, about what they have done and about what they have not done, about their health, ideas, etc. They hardly let other people open their mouths.
People get pleasure from speaking about themselves, but if they always speak about their achievements or their problems, people will get fed up with their egoism and will avoid them.
Conversation is a two-way activity. A person, who dominates the conversation, might feel good about it, because he or she attracts all the attention, but he or she might be avoided the next time.
If we are willing and able to listen to others, we will gain a lot:
– We will be more appreciated by the people whom we talk to.
– We will get new points of view and perspectives.
– We might get some good advice.
– We will have more harmonious relationships.
– Listening develops patience and tolerance.
– Listening to others can solve problems.
– People will like us more, because people like good listeners.
– Listening to people will help us understand them and their needs, and this will enhance our popularity.
Next time you converse with someone, try to listen more. Let the other person speak his/her mind. You might accept or not accept his/her ideas, you may not like some criticism, and you might not care about his/her experiences, but being patient, tolerant and a good listener will win you more friends, improve your relationships, and get you more useful ideas and practical tips that can help you in many ways.
To listen well, is as powerful a means of influence as to talk well, and is as essential to all true conversation.
Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking.
Bernard M. Baruch
I Invite You to Subscribe to My Newsletter.
Join me to receive articles, advice, updates and inspirational quotes.