You are sitting in a train heading toward your destination, a place you have fantasized about, and are eager to reach there as fast as possible.
The train is packed with people, the seats are not comfortable, there is a lot of noise, and all you want is to arrive at your destination and get off the train. Throughout the journey, you feel impatient and stressed, and do not enjoy the trip.
You have often fantasized about where you are traveling to, and are eager to arrive there. However, when you arrive at your destination, you discover that it is not as interesting, beautiful and exciting as you thought it would be.
You have traveled a long way, and did not enjoy the journey, and now, at your destination, you are not as joyous and happy as you thought you would be.
Does this sound familiar?
Everything could have been different, if you set on the journey with a different attitude.
You could have focused on the present moment and tried to make the most of it, instead of being impatient.
You could have set your mind to enjoy the journey, even though you did not like being on the train. You could have spoken with the other passengers, you could have enjoyed the scenery, and you could have read a book, listened to music or meditated.
You would have arrived at your destination with a happier state of mind.
Life is like a journey. Sometimes the journey of life is unpleasant and difficult, and there are pitfalls, failure and problems. However, no matter what kind of life you are living, you can change your attitude toward it and start creating moments of joy in it.
As the journey in the train, you need to find ways to enjoy the journey.
You can constantly complain, focus on problems, and be in a bad mood, unhappy and miserable. Would that make life better for you? No, this attitude will make your miserable and increase your suffering.
So what should you do?
What can you do to enjoy the present moment? The present moment is all there is. The past is gone and the future has not arrived yet. At each moment of your life, you can only live in the present. The best thing you can do is try to focus on the immediate present, make the most of it, and try to enjoy it.
Dwelling on the past and worrying about the future will not make you happy or improve your life. Detach yourself from the past, plan for the future, but don’t worry about it, and focus mainly on what you are doing now, in the present.
Like a journey on a train, you will enjoy it more, if instead of focusing on what is bothering you and on the things you don’t like, you focus on other, more useful things.
How to live in the present and enjoy it
1. When you wake up in the morning, make a resolution to make this day a happier day.
2. Throughout the day, remind yourself often, to focus on what you are doing, instead of thinking of other things.
3. Try to focus on what you are doing, while dressing, eating, working, carrying out chores and tasks, and at other times.
Try not to do things absent-mindedly and you will discover that you are becoming more efficient, do fewer mistakes, and start enjoying what you are doing.
4. Ask yourself, several times a day, what you can do differently to make each present moment more enjoyable. This might be enjoying a cup of coffee, taking walk, going to a movie, or reading a book.
5. When you catch yourself dwelling on the past and on problems, or worrying about the future, bring your mind immediately to the present moment, to what you are doing at this moment.
6. While traveling by bus train, enjoy the scenery and look at the people around you. You may also read a book or listen to music.
7. Always remember, you can complain, be unsatisfied and unhappy, and focus on the problems and difficulties. This will make your journey difficult.
On the other hand, you can find new things to do, try to enjoy what you are doing and focus on solutions.
8. You can choose to look at the negative side of things, and you can learn to look and see the bright side.
9. You might not always have the power to change external situations, but you can certainly change your attitude. You can choose to be more positive enjoy the present moment, and you can choose to focus on the negative and make your life unpleasant and miserable.
Remember, you can decide to enjoy the journey and make the most of it, under every situation, or be impatient, unhappy, unsatisfied and suffer.
The journey is no less important than the destination. The way to your goal is no less important than the goal. You can enjoy them more, benefit from them more, use your time more wisely and more usefully, when you live in the present, not in the past or future, and try to make the most of it.
Do you allow negative thoughts and emotions to control your mind and make you unhappy? Do you let other people's problems distress and agitate you? You can stop all this.