There is perhaps, no more important decision than to take charge of your own financial future. We live in a world of opportunity, and yet most Americans are buried in credit card and other debt.
We are surrounded by people who are getting rich, but most of us are running in place.
If you can read this, you are literate, have a computer, you are part of the “wired generation”. You can become as financially independent as you wish to be.
Here are the Top 10 keys to your financial success:
- Decide to be financially successful. This is different than wishing, hoping, wanting or even desiring to be rich. Make a commitment that this is going to happen! Financial independence is not an accident or matter of luck, and it usually requires some inconvenience. Have you decided to achieve this goal?
- Understand how money works. Most of never studied finance or investing in school. Most of were never even taught to balance a checkbook! To master anything, you have to understand it. Read. Study what successful people do. Take classes.
- Master your relationship with money. Some of us spend for excitement, to show off, to prove we can. Some of us are addicted to spending, and some of us are just careless about it. Whatever your relationship with money, understand it and develop a relationship of respect, appreciation and gratitude. Use your money, rather than allowing it to run your life.
- Set specific goals. They should be challenging, but not unbelievable, just out of reach but not out of sight. Challenge yourself to be out of debt by a specific date. Make a commitment to saving an exact amount each month.
- Develop a budget. A budget is a set of dreams and aspirations. It’s how you really, really want to use money to benefit your family and run your life. Budget to buy the things you really want, and to eliminate the “impulses”, the toys that waste too much of our income. A budget is a map to your destination. Have one and use it!