Quotes Directory >> Buddha Quotes and Sayings
Buddha Quotes and Sayings
Buddha was born as prince Siddhartha Gautama, in northern India, in a place, which now is part of Nepal. His exact lifetime is uncertain, but most historians date his lifetime from 563 BC to 483 BC.
The meaning of the word Buddha is "The Enlightened One", or "The Awakened One", and refers to one who has become enlightened.
1. "If a man who enjoys a lesser happiness beholds a greater one, let him leave aside the lesser to gain the greater."
2. "I reached in experience the nirvana which is unborn, unrivalled, secure from attachment, undecaying and unstained. This condition is indeed reached by me which is deep, difficult to see, difficult to understand, tranquil, excellent, beyond the reach of mere logic, subtle, and to be realized only by the wise."
3. "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
4. "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell."
5. "There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind."
6. "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."
7. "What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow. Our life is the creation of our mind."
8. "Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace."
9. "He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye."
10. "In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true."
11. "Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."
12. "The mind is the source of happiness and unhappiness."
13. "As the fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts."
14. "To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him."
15. "Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
16. "The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit. And the habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care. And let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings."
17. "Carpenters bend wood fletchers bend arrows; wise men fashion themselves."
18. "Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom."
19. "Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine."
20. "Look within, thou art the Buddha."
21. "Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide."
22. "A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another. If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden. But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden."
23. "Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world."
24. "The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly."
Quotes Directory >> Buddha Quotes
Emotional Detachment for Happier Life
Do you allow other people to transfer their stress and lack of peace to you? Do you allow negative thoughts, emotions and memories to make you stressed and unhappy? Learn how to let go and be free and happy.
Click for Details
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed this article, sign up to our free newsletter to get articles and updates.