Peace of Mind at the Workplace
By Remez Sasson
Work brings together, people of different characters and behavior, and this often causes friction, resentment and stress. Sometimes the boss is too demanding, colleagues may be unpleasant, there might be too much work, or the working conditions might not be comfortable.
Sometimes, the job might be boring, there could be competition or envy between the workers, or the customers are too demanding or unfriendly.
These are some of the reasons, why most people eagerly wait for their vacation. Their vacation provides them a way to get out of their daily life and find some peace. The good news is that you do not have to wait for your vacation. You can learn to gain inner peace and enjoy every moment, right where you are. When your mind is peaceful, the whole environment become peaceful.
Now, you probably wonder what you can do to make this come true. I am not going to talk here about meditation, though this is one of the best techniques for gaining peace of mind. Below, you will find a few simple tips and suggestions to experience inner peace at your workplace.
Tips for Peace of Mind at the Workplace
You would probably not succeed at the first attempts, but if you keep on following these tips and suggestions earnestly, you will gradually begin to experience peace of mind.
1) If the people you meet talk in a loud voice, are impolite and tense, you will probably react and behave accordingly, hereby raising your level of tension. On the other hand, if you stay calm, talk, act and react peacefully, people unconsciously emulate your behavior. You become a leading power, no matter what is your position at work.
2) Each day, before you enter your workplace, repeat several times the following affirmation, with feeling, faith and attention:
"My mind is peaceful throughout the whole day.
I radiate peace around me.
I talk peacefully, politely and with a smile.
I choose to act peacefully".
3) Greet the people you meet at work.
4) Whenever you feel tension or anger building in you, take three deep slow breaths before talking or acting.
5) Pay attention to the words you think, say or write. Use only positive words.
6) Be polite.
7) Whenever you find yourself raising your voice, lower it immediately.
8) Talk in a medium pitch voice, not too loud or too low, and don't let the loudness or pitch of other people's voices influence yours.
9) Several times during your workday find a quiet place. It may be at your desk, or if it is not quiet enough there, it can be at the bathroom, an empty room or some other quiet spot. For several moments, visualize a beautiful location that you love, or some event that made you happy. Feel as if you are there now, and enjoy the feelings that rise within you.
10) While working, focus on what you are doing. Put there your full attention. This will keep your mind off disturbing thoughts.
11) Don't waste your time and energy analyzing, and thinking about people's motives and behavior.
12) Before speaking with someone whom you dislike or fear, or someone who makes you feel tense or angry, take a few deep breathes, and then visualize the two of you conversing peacefully and harmoniously.