Developing Your Inner Strength
By Remez Sasson
How many times have you wished you had more inner strength, willpower or self discipline?
How many times you lacked enough persistence and inner stamina to follow your decisions and plans?
Do you admire and respect strong individuals, who have overcome obstacles and difficulties and reached far, because of the inner strength they possessed?
Most people are not are not born with inner strength, but it can be developed like any other skill. It consists of willpower, self discipline, persistence, the ability to concentrate and peace of mind.
In this article, we will focus on two of the ingredients, willpower and self discipline. These skills are essential for success in all areas of life, and can be learned and developed like any other skill. However, only few take any steps to develop and strengthen them in a systematic way.
Both skills are required for the efficient handling of all activities and decisions. They are required for doing a good job, for success in business, for studying, losing weight, exercising, maintaining good relationships, changing habits, self improvement, meditation, spiritual growth, keeping promises and for almost everything else.
There are simple and effective methods for developing these powers and attaining inner strength:
1. Refusing to satisfy unimportant or unhealthy desires.
2. Doing things that are useful, but which you resist doing.
By overcoming inner resistance you develop inner power and strength.
By refusing and rejecting useless, harmful or unnecessary desires and actions, and sometimes intentionally acting contrary to your habits, you sharpen and strengthen your inner strength. You get stronger through constant practice, just like exercising your muscles at a gym makes your muscles stronger. In both cases, when you need inner power or physical strength, they are available and are at your disposal.
Inner strength exercises:
- Don't read the newspaper for a few days.
- Now and then, drink your coffee or tea without sugar.
- Climb up the stairs instead of taking the lift.
- Park you car a little farther away from you destination, so that you have to walk.
- Now and then choose not to watch one of your favorite TV programs.
- Read a book that is useful and informative, but which you find boring.
- Curb your desire to criticize people.
- Delay your desire to retort angrily.
- Try to get out of bed quickly on a cold day.
These are only a few examples to show you how you can develop your inner strength. By practicing these or similar exercises you gain inner power, which you can use when you are in need of it. By practicing them you develop your inner muscles, just like lifting barbells develops your physical muscles.
By following a systematic method of training you gain control over yourself, your habits, your reactions and your life, and can more easily attain your dreams and goals.