Self Discipline Benefits and Importance
By Remez Sasson
One of the most important and useful skills everyone should possess is self discipline. It is a skill required in every area of life, and though most people acknowledge its importance, very few do something to strengthen it.
Contrary to common belief, self-discipline is not an attitude of harshness, limitations or a restrictive lifestyle. It adds the element of self control, common senses and perseverance into one's life, and also an element of inner strength. This means that you are more in control of your life.
Self discipline gives you the power to stick to your decisions and follow them through, without changing your mind, and is therefore, one of the important requirements for achieving goals.
The possession of this skill enables you to choose, and then persevere with your actions, thoughts and behavior, in order to accomplish a goal. It manifests as the inner strength to overcome addictions, procrastination and laziness, and to follow through with whatever you do.
One of its main characteristics is the ability to reject instant gratification and pleasure, in favor of some greater gain, which often requires spending some effort and time.This skill is one of the important ingredients of success. It expresses itself in a variety of ways:
- The ability not to give up, despite failure and setbacks.
- self control.
- The ability to resist distractions or temptations.
Life puts challenges and problems on the path to success and achievement, and in order to rise above them, you have to act with perseverance and persistence, and this of course, requires self-discipline.
The possession of this skill leads to self-confidence, self esteem and inner strength, and consequently, to happiness and satisfaction. On the other hand, lack of self-discipline leads to failure, loss, health and relationships' problems, obesity, and to other problems.
Self discipline is vital for overcoming eating disorders, addictions, smoking, drinking and other negative habits. You also need it to make yourself sit and study, exercise your body, for developing any kind of skill and expertise, and for self improvement, spiritual growth and meditation.
As said earlier, most people acknowledge the importance and benefits of self discipline, but very few take real steps to develop and strengthen it. This ability can be strengthened like any other skill, through training and exercises.
Self Discipline helps you:
- Avoid acting rashly and on impulse.
- Fulfill promises you make to yourself and to others.
- Overcome laziness and procrastination.
Self discipline will also help you:
- Continue working on a project, even after the initial rush of enthusiasm has faded away.
- Go to the gym, walk or swim, when all you want is to lie down or sit and watch TV.
- Continue working on your diet, and resisting the temptation of eating fattening foods.
Other things possible with this skill:
- Waking up early in the morning.
- Overcoming the habit of watching too much TV.
- Start reading a book, and read it to the last page.
- Meditating regularly.
It will be easier for you to strengthen your self discipline, if you:
- Think about, and realize how important it is to develop this skill.
- Become aware of your undisciplined behavior. When this awareness increases, you will start to seek ways to change this behavior.
- Make a list of what you really want to achieve. This will strengthen your motivation.
- Make the effort to act and behave according to the decisions you make, regardless of laziness, the desire to procrastinate, or the tendency to give up and stop what you are doing.
- You can strengthen your self-disciple, even if it is currently weak, with the help of special exercises.