How to Think Positively
By Remez Sasson
16 tips on how to think positively:
- Display a more positive emotional and mental attitude toward yourself, other people and situations.
- Refuse to participate in negative inner dialogues. It's just a waste of time and energy.
- Don't allow disappointments, difficulties and obstacles affect your moods and state of mind.
- Refuse and reject negative thinking. Either replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts, or engage yourself in some activity that will divert your attention from the negative thoughts.
- Don't allow what people think and say affect your mind and mood.
- Associate with people who bring something of value into your life. Avoid people who sap your energy and enthusiasm. If you can't avoid them, learn how stay detached when your are in their company.
- Say positive things about yourself and about other people.
- Compliment people when you feel they deserve it.
- Have faith in yourself and in your abilities.
- Try doing new things or old things in a new way. Doing things differently will help you be more creative and therefore more positive. Go to a different restaurant, eat different food, change the way you dress, start reading a new book or find a new hobby.
- Read about people who overcame hardships and succeeded in life. This will help you think more positively.
- Set goals no matter how impossible this might seem at the moment and keep yourself busy working on them.
- Each goal accomplished, no matter how small it might be, will bring you more confidence, self-esteem and positive thinking.
- At least once a day, think and try to come up with more ideas on how to think positively in various situations.
- Be careful what mental images you let in into your mind. How you see yourself and your surroundings make a difference to your thinking. It is like watching a video. Eject the old video cassette or CD and insert a new and better one instead.
- Analyze your behavior and attitude, and ask yourself why you are repeating the habits or attitudes that you dislike. There is no need to follow old patterns of behavior that you don't like or don't make you any good.
When you learn how to think positively, you gain the key to changing and improving your life.
It is easier to keep a positive frame of mind when things go well. It is tougher to do so when in the midst of problems, difficulties or obstacles. In such times, you will require to put more effort, attention and patience. However, if you learn how to think positively, when you are not under pressure, stress or strain, it will be easier to do so, when things are tough. It's like everything in life, positive thinking requires practice.