We often hear the words “peace of mind” in connection with insurance, when we seek a solid investment in the bank, or when we look for a car to buy.
In these connotations, it means that if you have a good insurance, a good investment or a good car, you will have no worries and you would feel safe.
Various companies and businesses often use these words in their commercials, telling you that their product will give you “peace of mind”, and completely solve your problems.
Merriam Webster dictionary defines this term as, “a feeling of being safe or protected”, and gives an example sentence, “Installing a security system in your home will give you greater peace of mind.”
Collins dictionary defines it as “the absence of worry.”
Cambridge dictionary says, “A feeling of calm or not being worried”, and offer as an example the sentence, “For my peace of mind, please check that the door is locked.”
For the Urban dictionary, peace of mind means, “To be free of worries.”
The meaning of peace of mind for Thesaurus is, “the absence of mental stress or anxiety.”
Other Meanings and Definitions of Peace of Mind
1. These words mean that you have a peaceful mind that is not agitated and disturbed by what people say or do.
2. It means not taking things too personally.
3. It means having control of your thoughts, and the ability to decide what thoughts to let into your mind and which ones to reject.
4. You can have peace of mind when you have no worries, no fears, and when nothing is troubling your mind.
5. You enjoy peace of mind when you are happy.
6. You enjoy peace of mind when you are relaxed.
7. When your relationships are in harmony, there is peace of mind
8. Eliminating stress from your life makes your mind peaceful and calm.
Peace of mind is not always the result of some external situation, and is not always dependent on physical safety or financial or material security. If it is dependent on external conditions, it can come and go, depending on what is happening in one’s life.
One can experience inner peace independently of outside conditions, but this requires some training. It is a skill, which one can develop and enjoy in his or her everyday life, and involves practicing certain exercises and meditations, and changing one’s attitude. This training calms down the restlessness of the mind and the nonstop movement of thoughts in the mind.
When you calm down the restlessness of your mind, you enjoy inner peace. When this happens, worries, fears and restless thoughts stop bothering you, and you feel peaceful, happy and calm. You also stop dwelling on the past and worrying about the future.
In this situation, when you mind is free from unnecessary thoughts, you see everything as it is, without bias, your attention improves, as well as your common sense and ability to study and understand. It also becomes easier to focus the mind, and the five senses get sharper, since you can disregard distractions and can more easily control your attention.
This, I dare say, is the ultimate meaning of peace of mind. Is it possible to attain it? Yes, it is, with some training. You might not have 100% of peace of mind, but even 10% or 5% of improvement would make a big change and improvement in your life.
What Is the Meaning of Peace mind – Sentences and Phrases
1. “Having money in the bank gives me peace of mind.”
2. “Now that I have a good job I have peace of mind.”
3. “I feel safe and secure now that I have my own house and can afford to maintain it.”
4. “I have a sense of security in my life, knowing that I have a good job, good friends and love in my life.”
5. “I enjoy a state of inner peace when I watch the setting sun while walking on the beach.”
6. “Meditation cleanses my mind of all thoughts, worries and doubts, making my mind peaceful and calm.”
7. “What people think of me or say about me does not shake my calmness and poise.”
8. “I can always keep away worries, doubts and fears from capturing my attention.”
What Is the Meaning of Peace of Mind in Quotes
“Peace comes from within.”
“Anger is the ultimate destroyer of peace of mind.”
“Whoever values peace of mind and the health of the soul will live the best of all possible lives.”
“We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.”
“I can have peace of mind only when I forgive rather than judge.”
“If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace.”
Thich Nhat Hanh
“When the mind is left without anything to cling to, it becomes still.”
Sri Ramana Maharshi
“Learn to be calm and you will always be happy.”
“When you make peace with yourself, you make peace with the world.”
“The real spiritual progress of the aspirant is measured by the extent to which he achieves inner tranquility.”
Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It’s a way of entering into the quiet that’s already there – buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.