Quotes Directory >> Buddha Quotes
Buddha Quotes and Wise Sayings
A Collection of Buddha Quotes
Various quotes attributed to Buddha. You will find quotes about about love, compassion, anger, the mind, patience and about other topics.
Buddha Quotes on Love and Compassion
1. "If you wish to be gentle with others, be gentle first with yourself."
2. "A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another. If these minds love one another, the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden. But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden."
3. "You should respect each other and refrain from disputes; you should not, like water and oil, repel each other, but should, like milk and water, mingle together."
4. "Fashion your life as a garland of beautiful deeds."
5. "Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."
6. "You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
7. "Friendship is the only cure for hatred, the only guarantee of peace."
8. "Our sorrows and wounds are healed only when we touch them with compassion."
Buddha Quotes on Anger
9. "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
10. "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
11. "To be angry is to let others' mistakes punish yourself."
12. "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
13. "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
14. "You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger."
15. "Suppose an enemy has hurt you in his own domain, why should you annoy yourself and hurt your mind in your own domain?"
16. "When it is impossible for anger to arise within you, you find no outside enemies anywhere."
17. "Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten."
18. "There is no fire like passion. No crime like hatred. No sorrow like separation. No sickness like hunger, and no joy like the joy of freedom."
19. "Whoever doesn't flare up at someone who's angry wins a battle hard to win."
20. "Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten."
Buddha Quotes on Inner Strength and Discipline
21. "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell."
22. "Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes."
23. "To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle."
24. "He is able who thinks he is able."
25. "To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others."
26. "The wise are disciplined in body, speech, and mind. They are well controlled indeed."
Buddha Quotes on Mind and Thoughts
27. "It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, which lures him to evil ways."
28. "In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true."
29. "What we think, we become."
30. "Be vigilant; guard your mind against negative thoughts."
31. "We are what we think. With our thoughts, we make our world."
32. "Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own thoughts, unguarded. But once mastered, no one can help you as much. Not even your father or your mother."
33. "It is wrong to think that misfortunes come from the east or from the west; they originate within one's own mind. Therefore, it is foolish to guard against misfortunes from the external world and leave the inner mind uncontrolled."
34. "Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a polluted mind, suffering will follow you, as the wheels of the oxcart follow the footsteps of the ox."
35. "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him."
Buddha Quotes on Good and Bad
36. "There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it."
37. "If a man's mind becomes pure, his surroundings will also become pure."
38. "Easy to do are things that are bad and harmful to oneself. But exceedingly difficult to do are things that are good and beneficial."
39. "Good men and bad men differ radically. Bad men never appreciate kindness shown them, but wise men appreciate and are grateful. Wise men try to express their appreciation and gratitude by some return of kindness, not only to their benefactor, but to everyone else."
40. "There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills."
41. "However many holy words you read, however, many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
Buddha Quotes on Health
42. "Every human being is the author of his own health or disease."
43. "Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship."
44. "Your body is precious. It is our vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care."
45. "To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."
46. "The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly."
Buddha Quotes on Patience
47. "A jug fills drop by drop."
48. "Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good."
Quotes Directory >> Buddha Quotes
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed reading this article, sign up to receive our free newsletter with articles and updates.