Dalai Lama Quotes
A collection of quotes from the Dalai Lama on various spiritual and everyday topics. You will find quotes on compassion and love, on peace, happiness, kindness, spirituality, suffering and wisdom.
The current Dalai Lama is Tenzin Gyatso. He is the 14th Dalai Lama, since 22 February 1940. On this page, you will find a few of his quotes.
The Dalai Lama Quotes
Dalai Lama Quotes on Compassion and Love
1. "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
2. "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive."
3. "One can overcome the forces of negative emotions, like anger and hatred, by cultivating their counter forces,like love and compassion."
4. "Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength".
5. "If you don't love yourself, you cannot love others. You will not be able to love others. If you have no compassion for yourself then you are not able of developing compassion for others."
6. "Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion."
7. "You must not hate those who do wrong or harmful things; but with compassion, you must do what you can to stop them — for they are harming themselves, as well as those who suffer from their actions."
8. "Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other."
9. "A truly compassionate attitude toward others does not change even if they behave negatively or hurt you."
10. "Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay."
11. "The way to change others’ minds is with affection, and not anger."
Emotional Detachment for Happier Life
Imagine how free, calm and happy you would be, if you could stop getting upset by what people say or do, and avoid taking things personally.
Learn emotional detachment techniques that will help you let go of worries and negative thoughts and emotions, and deal with upsetting situations and stressful people.
Dalai Lama Quotes on Peace
12. "Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace."
13. "We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."
14. "Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that's very important for good health."
15. "World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think, the manifestation of human compassion."
16. "Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent."
17. "Hard times build determination and inner strength. Through them we can also come to appreciate the uselessness of anger. Instead of getting angry nurture a deep caring and respect for troublemakers because by creating such trying circumstances they provide us with invaluable opportunities to practice tolerance and patience."
18. "Because we all share this planet earth, we have to learn to live in harmony and peace with each other and with nature. This is not just a dream, but a necessity."
19. "Anger is the ultimate destroyer of your own peace of mind."
Dalai Lama Quotes on Happiness
20. "When I meet people from other cultures I know that they too want happiness and do not want suffering, this allows me to see them as brothers and sisters."
21. "It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come."
22. "By bringing about a change in our outlook toward things and events, all phenomena can become sources of happiness."
23. "Choose to be optimistic, it feels better."
Dalai Lama Quotes on Kindness
24. "This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."
25. "When we feel love and kindness towards others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace."
26. "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
27. "The ultimate source of happiness is not money and power, but warm-heartedness."
28. "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."
29. "I think that cultivating positive mental states like kindness and compassion definitely leads to better psychological health and happiness."
Dalai Lama Quotes on Spirituality
30. "Human beings are of such nature that they should have not only material facilities but spiritual sustenance as well. Without spiritual sustenance, it is difficult to get and maintain peace of mind."
31. "I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable to you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is of no use, then you can discard it."
32. "The aim of spiritual and therefore ethical practice is to transform and perfect the individual’s motivation and mental disposition."
33. "Together with material development, we need spiritual development so that inner peace and social harmony can be experienced."
Dalai Lama Quotes on Suffering
34. "All suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their own happiness or satisfaction."
35. "Too much self-centered attitude, you see, brings, you see, isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger. The extreme self-centered attitude is the source of suffering."
36. "If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do about it. If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry."
37. "A disciplined mind leads to happiness, and an undisciplined mind leads to suffering."
Dalai Lama Quotes on Wisdom
38. "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost."
39. "We are born and reborn countless number of times, and it is possible that each being has been our parent at one time or another. Therefore, it is likely that all beings in this universe have familial connections."
40. "With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world."
41. "It is felt that a disciplined mind leads to happiness and an undisciplined mind leads to suffering, and in fact it is said that bringing about discipline within one's mind is the essence of the Buddha's teaching."
42. "The important thing is that men should have a purpose in life. It should be something useful, something good."
43. "In the present circumstances, no one can afford to assume that someone else will solve their problems. Every individual has a responsibility to help guide our global family in the right direction. Good wishes are not sufficient; we must become actively engaged."
44. "When we are motivated by compassion and wisdom, the results of our actions benefit everyone, not just our individual selves or some immediate convenience. When we are able to recognize and forgive ignorant actions of the past, we gain strength to constructively solve the problems of the present."
45. "The true hero is one who conquers his own anger and hatred."
Quotes Directory >> Dalai Lama Quotes
Calm Down the Nonstop Chatter of Your Mind
A book that teaches how to calm down the nonstop chatter of the mind, slow down its restlessness, and make it more focused, peaceful and calm.
You will find here simple working techniques to stop overthinking and gain inner peace and tranquility.
Share This Page:
Follow Us on: