Quotes Directory >> Lao Tzu Quotes
Lao Tzu Quotes and Wise Words
Lao Tzu was a philosopher in ancient China, who lived in the 6th century BC.
According to the legend, Lao Tzu was the keeper of the archives at the imperial court, which gave him the opportunity to study the archive books and gain a great deal of knowledge. During his life, Lao Tzu got known for his wisdom, and it is said that even the famous Chinese philosopher, Confucius, heard about Lao Tzu, and came to visit him.
It is said that Lao Tzu is the founder of Taoism, the Chinese spiritual tradition.
30 Inspiring and Motivational Lao Tzu Quotes
1. "An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox."
2. "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
3. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
4. "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still."
5. "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
6. "At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
7. "The Way of Heaven is to benefit others and not to injure. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete."
8. "To know that you do not know is the best. To pretend to know when you do not know is a disease."
9. "He who knows others is wise; He who knows himself is enlightened."
10. "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."
11. "A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving."
12. "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love."
13. "Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."
14. "Do not look only at yourself, and you will see much. Do not justify yourself, and you will be distinguished. Do not brag, and you will have merit. Do not be prideful, and your work will endure."
15. "Great acts are made up of small deeds."
16. "If you would take, you must first give, this is the beginning of intelligence."
17. "Nothing is softer or more flexible than water, yet nothing can resist it."
18. "He who is contented is rich."
19. "Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like."
20. "When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you."
21. "Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses."
22. "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."
23. "I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures."
24. "To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders."
25. "There is no calamity greater than lavish desires. There is no greater guilt than discontentment. And there is no greater disaster than greed."
26. "Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power."
27. "Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know."
28. "The truly great man dwells on what is real and not what is on the surface."
29. "One who is too insistent on his own views, finds few to agree with him."
30. "To lead people walk behind them."
Quotes Directory >> Lao Tzu Quotes