25 Inspiring Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes
Published by Remez Sasson
Martin Luther King Jr. was born on January 15 1929. He was an American Baptist minister and activist who was a leader in the Civil Rights Movement.
In 1964, Martin Luther King Jr. was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in pushing for greater racial equality through nonviolent civil disobedience.
Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes collected from various sources
1. "The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education."
2. "There comes a time when people get tired of being pushed out of the glittering sunlight of life's July and left standing amid the piercing chill of an alpine November."
3. "The past is prophetic in that it asserts loudly that wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows."
4. "Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
5. "We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."
6. "At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love."
7. "Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love."
8. "Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. Indeed, it is a weapon unique in history, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it."
9. "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent."
10. "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
11. "If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way."
12. "The ultimate test of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and moments of convenience, but where he stands in moments of challenge and moments of controversy."
13. "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
14. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
15. "We must concentrate not merely on the negative expulsion of war but the positive affirmation of peace."
16. "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend."
17. "If you can't fly, then run, if you can't walk run, then walk, if you can't walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving."
18. "We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies."
19. "Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself."
20. "A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus."
21. "Forgiveness is not an occasional act. It is a permanent attitude."
22. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
23. "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal."
24. "Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love."
25. "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
Quotes Directory >> Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes
Emotional Detachment for Happier Life
Imagine how free, calm and happy you would be, if you could avoid taking things personally and stop getting upset by what people say or do.
Learn emotional detachment techniques that will help you let go of worries and negative thoughts, and deal calmly with upsetting situations and stressful people.
Useful advice and guidance for letting go.Get More Info
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed reading this article, sign up to receive our free newsletter with articles and updates.