A Simple Self-Improvement Technique You Will Enjoy Practicing
By Remez Sasson
How to turn self-improvement into an enjoyable, rewarding and empowering activity? This is quite simple.
In this article, we will examine a simple self-improvement technique anyone can practice.
Simple Self-Improvement Technique
Here is how to proceed with this technique:
1. Look at the people around you, and watch how they behave.
2. If you detect a certain behavior or trait of character that you do not like, examine yourself closely, as impartially as you can, and find out whether you too, act or behave in the same way.
3. If you discover that you posses some undesirable trait of character, think how to change this behavior, and how you want to act when you are in a similar situation. Then, whenever you have the time, mentally rehearse the new behavior.
How do you do that? You visualize yourself in various situations, behaving and acting in the way you want to behave and act.
4. It would also help, if you think often about the importance and advantages of a different, and more positive behavior.
5. Tell yourself over and again that you will remember to act differently, next time you are in a situation that triggers the behavior patterns you want to change.
6. At first, you will probably forget to act as desired, but keep visualizing and thinking about the new behavior patterns, and you will see how your behavior gradually changes.
Whenever you see people acting in a way that creates positive results, analyze what they are doing, their body language, and the way they are talking and acting, and try to act and behave like them. If you keep doing so, you will soon start to see changes in yourself and in your life.
The advantage of this technique is that you can use it everywhere, anytime, and without any prior preparations. Furthermore, this can turn into a pleasurable game. You can use this technique while waiting for someone or something, while standing in line, while sitting on a bench in a park, or while traveling in a bus or train. In this way, you can use your time more advantageously, instead of just letting the time pass by.
Affirmations - Words with Power
Motivating and inspiring affirmations for every day and for every purpose, with all the instructions to make them work.
Learn how to use affirmations effectively, to improve your life, achieve goals, and get the things you want.
Hundreds of affirmations for almost every purpose.Get More Info
Examples of the Self-Improvement Technique
1) Watch the behavior of someone, who is angry. Watch his body language and the tone of his voice, and see how people avoid him or her due to their behavior.
Now, look into yourself with an unbiased eye, and find out if you are guilty of the same kind of behavior. If you are not, that's great, but if you are, think about the consequences of this behavior. Think about the advantages of acting differently, how a calm and happy attitude can change your life, and how people treat you differently if you improve your behavior.
The next step would be to visualize yourself in circumstances that trigger the kind of behavior you wish to avoid, and to see yourself acting in a new and positive manner.
Rehearse in your mind, in detail, how you would like to act, so that when you are in this situation, your subconscious mind will guide you to act as you visualized. Mentally rehearsing the new behavior, will remind you to act so in real life, and would also motivate and direct you to act accordingly.
2) Watch people who behave calmly and peacefully. For example, you enter a shop and ask the saleswoman a few questions. She is patient and calm, and answers all of your questions politely and with a smile. Her behavior makes you feel good and comfortable, and therefore, you want to buy something from her.
Analyze the behavior of the saleswoman, and see what you can do to emulate her. Tell yourself over and again that you too, are going to behave politely and patiently.
Visualize yourself in various situations that usually make you angry and impatient, and ask yourself why you behave in that way. Then, start visualizing yourself acting and talking in a calm, polite and patient manner.
It is important to understand that thinking and visualizing just once are not enough. You need to do so over and over again every day, even several times a day, until you see results.
The above two examples illustrate how to make use of this self-improvement technique. The examples are only guidelines on how to use the technique.