How to Think Positively - 16 Tips
By Remez Sasson
Do you sometimes wonder how to think positively, so you can stop thinking negatively?
Negative thinking leads to unhappiness, stress and passivity, while a positive state of mind leads to happy frame of mind, motivation, energy and to greater chances of success.
You might ask whether it is possible at all to change the way one thinks. The answer is yes, it is possible, and the fact that you are reading this article means that you want to change your mindset.
When you know how to think positively you become more optimistic and gain the key to changing and improving your life, because everything starts in the mind.
Below, you will find tips to help you think positively.
Tips on How to Think Positively
- Display a more positive emotional and mental attitude toward yourself, other people and external situations. This means more self-esteem, more respect to people, and striving to accept everything more calmly and with a positive and happy attitude.
- Refuse to participate in negative inner dialogues. It's just a waste of time and energy. When you catch yourself thinking negatively, switch to positive thoughts.
- Don't allow disappointments, difficulties and obstacles affect your moods and state of mind. Learn from them, and then go on without giving up.
- Refuse and reject negative thinking. Either replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts, or engage yourself in some activity that will divert your attention from the negative thoughts.
- Do not allow what people think and say affect your feelings and state of mind. You can find advice and guidance about this topic, and how to stop taking things personally, in the book, "Emotional Detachment for Happier Life".
- Associate with people who bring something of value into your life. Avoid people who sap your energy and enthusiasm. If you cannot avoid them, learn how stay detached when your are in their company.
- Say positive things about yourself and about other people. Think positively about yourself, about your abilities, and about other people.
- Compliment people when you feel they deserve it. Compliment people for their work, actions and success. This will make them like you more.
- Have faith in yourself and in your abilities. If you failed in the past, it does not speak about the future.
- Try doing things in a new or different way. Doing things differently will help you be more creative, and therefore, more positive. Go to a different restaurant, eat different food, change the way you dress, start reading a new book, or find a new hobby.
- Read about people who overcame hardships and succeeded in life. This will motivate and inspire you, and help you think more positively.
- Set goals, no matter how impossible these goals might seem at the present moment, and keep yourself busy working on them.
- Think about each goal you accomplished, and congratulate yourself about it. Each accomplished goal, no matter how small it might be, will bring you more confidence, self-esteem and positive thinking.
- At least once a day, think and try to come up with more ideas on how to think positively in various situations.
- Be careful what mental images you allow into your mind. How you see yourself and your circumstances in your mind, affects your subconscious mind, your thinking, your attitude, and your life. Looking at the mental images in your mind, what you imagine, is like watching a video. Eject the old disc and insert a new one, with a better, happier movie instead.
- Analyze your behavior and attitude, and ask yourself why you are repeating the habits or attitudes that you dislike. There is no need to follow patterns of behavior that you don't like or which don't make you any good.
As said earlier, when you learn how to think positively, you gain the key to changing and improving your life. New thoughts and ideas will rise in your mind, and you will experience more energy and motivation. This will bring new, positive changes to your life.
It is easier to keep a positive frame of mind when things go well.
It is tougher to do so when you are in the midst of problems, difficulties or obstacles. In such times, you will require to put more effort, attention and patience into changing your attitude and keep it constructive and optimistic.
If you teach yourself to think positively every day, especially when you are not under pressure, stress or strain, it will be easier to do so, when things are tough. Positive thinking will then turn into a habit.
Like everything in life, positive thinking requires practice, but it is easy and fun and the rewards are great.
You can find concise, practical and clear guidance on how to become more positive in thoughts and action in the book Positive Thinking - The Power to Succeed.