Willpower and Self-Discipline Exercises and Guidance
By Remez Sasson
Everyone has a few negative habits he or she wishes to overcome, such as smoking, excessive eating, laziness, procrastination, or lack of assertiveness, to name a few.
To overcome these habits, you need a certain degree of willpower and self-discipline. The possession of these skills makes a great difference in your life, bringing to the fore, inner strength, self mastery and decisiveness, which are vital for success, personal growth and spiritual growth.
The possession or lack of these skils, is a major factor leading to success or to failure, to taking action or to being lazy. This applies to major goals, and also to simple, everyday tasks.
We all have experiences like these, but we can develop the inner strength required to change them by developing the following two skills:
Everyone has inner, unconscious, or partly conscious impulses, making them say or do things they later regret saying or doing. On many occasions, people do not think before they talk or act. By developing these two skills, you become conscious of your inner, subconscious impulses, and gain the ability to reject them, when they are not for your own good.
These skills help you choose your behavior and reactions, instead of being ruled by them. Don't worry, their possession won't make your life dull or boring. On the contrary, you will feel more powerful, in charge of yourself and your surroundings, happy and satisfied.
There is a misconception in the public mind regarding willpower and self-discipline. It is erroneously believed that their development and use require a lot of mental and physical strain and effort. This is not true. You can develop them in a gradual, simple way, by practicing certain exercises, and even enjoy the process.
How to Strengthen Your Willpower and Self-Discipline
A simple and most efficient technique to strengthen these skills is by doing things, which you would rather avoid doing, due to laziness, procrastination, weakness, shyness, etc.
By carrying out such actions, in spite of your inner resistance you overcome your subconscious resistance.
As muscles get stronger by resisting the weight of barbells, so inner strength is attained by overcoming inner resistance.
1) You are sitting in a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in. Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated. Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind and feelings.
2) There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later. Get up and wash them now. Do not let your laziness overcome you. When you know that in this way you are developing your willpower, and if you are convinced of the importance of willpower in your life, it will be easier for you to do whatever you have to do.
3) You come home tired from work and sit in front of the T.V., because you feel too lazy and too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of the T.V, and go and take a shower.
4) Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.
5) Don't read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper, even if you want to.
6) If you have the choice of going up with the elevator or climbing the stairs, choose climbing the stairs.
These are very simple exercises, which you can certainly do. Remember, the purpose of the exercises is to develop inner strength, not to make life difficult for you.
If you practice weight lifting, running or aerobics, you strengthen your muscles, and therefore, when you need to move or carry something heavy, for example, you have the strength for it. By studying a foreign language, you will be able to speak it fluently when you are abroad.
It is the same with willpower and self-discipline. By strengthening them, you make them available for use, whenever you need them.
You need these skills to control your thoughts, improve your concentration, and to become the boss of your mind. The stronger these skills are, the more inner strength you possess.
Willpower and self-discipline are vital for achieving success. They give you more control over your life, help you change and improve habits, and are essential for self improvement, spiritual growth and meditation.
Willpower & Self Discipline by Remez Sasson
Learn how to strengthen your willpower, gain self discipline, overcome laziness and procrastination, and become more assertive.
Information, instructions and exercises.
Click Here for Details
How to Focus Your Mind
By Remez Sasson
Does your mind wander elswhere, when you need to focus it? Learn how to improve your focus.
Sign Up for Our Free NewsletterReceive articles updates, tips and quotes.
Emotional Detachment For a Better Life
By Remez Sasson
Imagine how free, relieved and happy you would be, if you could always stay calm and poised.
Imagine how you would feel, if nothing can upset you.