A regular practice of meditation has a profound effect on the mind and on one’s awareness and consciousness.
Regular practice of meditation calms down the restlessness of the mind, and therefore, makes it possible to experience, and become aware something, which is beyond the scope of the mind.
Thoughts are like clouds that hide the sun, or like waves that make it impossible to see the bottom of a lake. When the mind becomes calm and there are no thoughts, you realize that your thoughts and your constant mental activity hide.
You your mind is silent, you become aware of your real essence, the consciousness that is beyond the mind.
The Spiritual Consciousness Beyond the Mind
One of the main benefits of a regular practice of meditation is the gain of inner peace.
In a state of inner peace, when the restlessness of your mind stops, you become aware of a different, vast sort of consciousness.
With mental calmness you experience peace, bliss and joy. A powerful consciousness arises in you, which is different from the ordinary, everyday consciousness. This is Spiritual Consciousness.
- This state is like an altered state of consciousness.
- It is not a state of trance, and there is no loss of awareness of the world around you.
- You go on with what you are doing, but with a form of expanded awareness.
In this state, you become more conscious and more alive. It is an awareness that encompasses both the physical, external world, and the spiritual world.
At first, you will experience the spiritual consciousness very briefly and sporadically, and not necessarily during the meditation session.
This awareness can appear in the midst of your daily activities, in your everyday life. It might come about suddenly or gradually, fill your awareness for a brief moment, and then go away.
As you continue with daily meditations, the duration of this altered state of consciousness will gradually get longer.
In order to experience this state of awareness more often and for longer periods, and turn it into a constant state of consciousness, you need to be able to quiet your mind more deeply, and for longer periods.
The main requirement for this state to manifest is a silent mind. It appears when the restlessness of the mind disappears. Mental silence is the way to making this experience permanent.
Just to make it clear, mental silence does not mean becoming a recluse and a person you does not think.
When you can silence your mind, you gain control of it. Your focus increases, your perception and comprehension become faster, and you can choose when to think and when not to think.
How to Experience the Spiritual Consciousness beyond the Mind
How experience inner peace and the consciousness beyond the mind? Here are a few tips:
- Continue to meditate every day.
- Learn to focus your mind, making it one-pointed. This done by practicing concentration exercises.
- Try to become aware of the thoughts that pass through your mind. If you practice meditation regularly, this will not be too difficult to do.
- View your thoughts with some dispassion. Learn to be little detached from your thoughts and the memories and feelings they awaken. In this way, you will avoid worries, unnecessary thoughts, and stressful, agitating thoughts and emotions.
- Always try to focus on what you are doing, and disallow thoughts, feelings and people to distract your attention.
- For a few minutes, at different times of the day, try to become aware of your consciousness, of your awareness, and of the feeling that you exist.
- Do not discuss or analyze your awareness, just be conscious of it, without thinking and without words. This might not be easy at first, but with practice your ability would improve.
Thoughts to Remember
- Spiritual consciousness is a state of light, happiness and joy, but also of inner power, focus, and common sense.
- Spiritual Consciousness has been called by many names, Nirvana, Samadhi, Self-Realization, Cosmic Consciousness or Higher Self. The name is only a label. The content is more important than the label, and it is the same content, no matter what label is used.
- All techniques of meditation, eventually, lead to this state of awareness beyond the mind, to the awakening of the spiritual consciousness.
You might like reading: Inspiring Spiritual Awakening Quotes and Phrases
“Enlightenment must come little by little – otherwise it would overwhelm.”
– Idries Shah
“That is the real spiritual awakening, when something emerges from within you that is deeper than who you thought you were. So, the person is still there, but one could almost say that something more powerful shines through the person.”
– Eckhart Tolle