Peace of Mind Tips and Advice
By Remez Sasson
What is peace of mind?
It is a state of mental and emotional calmness, with no worries, fears or stress. In this mental and emotional state the mind becomes quiet and you you feel a sense of happiness and freedom.
Such peaceful moments are not so rare. You have experienced them in the past, at times when you were engaged in some kind of an absorbing or interesting activity, such as:
- Watching an entertaining movie or TV program.
- Being in the company of someone you love.
- Being absorbed in reading a book.
- Lying on the sand at the beach.
- On vacation, when you experience some sort of mental numbness, forgetting your work and day-to-day-life.
- In deep asleep, when you are not aware of anything.
Such activities, and similar ones, take away the mind from its usual thoughts and worries, replacing them with an experience of inner peace.
The question is, how to bring more peace of mind into our life, and more importantly, how to experience it in times of difficulties and ordeals.
You might also ask, whether it is possible to turn it into a habit, and enjoy it always and under all circumstances. Actually, there are a few things you can do to enjoy more peace in your life.
Tips and advice for peace of mind:
- Minimize the time you spend on reading newspapers or watching the news on TV. Since most of the news are negative news, and you cannot do anything about them, why should you think about them and feel stressed and anxious?
- Stay away from negative conversations and from negative people. You don't want their thoughts and words sink into your subconscious mind and affect your moods and state of mind.
- Don't hold grudges. Learn to forget and forgive. Nurturing ill feelings and grievances hurts you and causes lack of sleep.
- Don't be jealous of others. Being jealous means that you have low self-esteem, and consider yourself inferior to others. Jealousy and low self esteem, often, lead to lack of inner peace.
- Accept what cannot be changed. This saves a lot of time, energy and worries. Every day, we face numerous inconveniences, irritations and situations that are beyond our control. If we can change them, that's fine, but this is not always possible. We must learn to put up with such things and accept them cheerfully.
- Don't dwell on the past. The past is not here any more, so why think about it? Let bygones be gone. Forget the past and focus on the present moment. There is no need to evoke unpleasant memories and immerse yourself in them.
- Learn to be more patient and tolerant with family, friends, coworkers, employees, and everyone else.
- Don't take everything too personally. A certain degree of emotional and mental detachment is very helpful. On many occassions, it would be useful to inject a certain measure of detachment and non involvement. This would bring into your life more peace, harmony and common sense.
- Learn to focus your mind. When you are able to focus your mind, you can more easily reject worries and anxieties, refuse to think negative thoughts, and reduce the constant chatter of your mind.
- Meditation is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you have the time, and are willing to try it, even just a few minutes a day will make a difference in your life. You will become more peaceful, relaxed and happy.
Inner peace ultimately leads to external peace. By creating peace in your inner world, in your mind, you bring it into your external world, and into other people's lives.
Peace of Mind in Daily Life
By Remez Sasson
Learn how to quiet the endless chatter of your mind and get rid of worries and anxieties
Click Here for Details