It is no secret that negative thinking is part of almost everyone’s life.
For some reason, it seems it is easier to think negative thoughts, than to think positive thoughts. Sometimes, there are more negative thoughts, and sometimes fewer, depending upon the mood, situation, and circumstances.
Unpleasant situations, problems and difficulties arise in everyone’s lives, and these events cause negative thinking.
Often, people are not very much aware of the thoughts they are thinking, and therefore, get easily immersed with negative thoughts and negative moods when listening to the news or to people talking about their problems.
It would be a good strategy to avoid negative thinking, though, in many cases, it is easier said than done.
How to Avoid Negative Thinking? Here are a few techniques:
1. Try to be aware of your thoughts. Most often, one thinks in an automatic way, hardly aware of what he or she are thinking. If you strive to become aware of your thoughts, you will know when you are thinking negatively, and therefore, would be in a better position to avoid them.
2. When catching yourself thinking negatively, consciously, try to think of something else, something positive and uplifting.
3. Choose to watch happy and funny movies, instead of movies about disasters and unhappiness.
4. Think often about the goods things you have in your life, and less about the bad things. Look at the filled part of the glass, not at the empty part, even if the empty is greater than the full.
5. Align your thinking with your actions. When doing something, focus on it. When eating, focus on the act of eating. When dressing, focus on dressing, and when exercising your body, focus on the exercise. In this way, you will not make a place for negative thinking.
6. Sometimes, during the day, visualize yourself doing something you love doing, like walking or sitting on the beach, visiting a beautiful place, or being in the company of people you love.
You may also think about happy events or success you had recently. All of these thoughts are positive ways to help you avoid negative thinking.
7. Be aware that sometimes, problems and difficulties are blown out of proportions. Often, they are minor problems and difficulties not worth your time and energy. Having this point of view can help you avoid negative thinking, when facing problems or difficulties.
8. If negative thoughts persist, write them down, and analyze them to see if there is any truth in them.
9. Don’t fight the thoughts you don’t want or don’t like. If you fight them, they become stronger. A better approach would be treating them with detachment and lack of interest.
10. Surround yourself with positive people.
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed reading this article, subscribe to our free newsletter to receive articles and updates.