Do you find it difficult to hold your attention fixed on one subject or thought longer than a few seconds, before getting distracted by other thoughts or sense impressions?
Do you have trouble focusing your attention?
Do you sometimes ask yourself: “Why I can’t focus?”, “Why do I have trouble focusing?”
There are several obstacles to focus and concentration that everyone faces, but these obstacles can be surmounted.
You might have trouble focusing work, at school, while studying or reading, or when talking with other people. You might have trouble focusing on your goals.
Lack of attention can be disturbing at times, and in certain situations, even dangerous, such as while driving or working with machinery.
- Are you trying to improve your focus, but face obstacles?
- Do you try to meditate, but with no success?
- Do you always do one thing, while thinking about something else?
How many times your mind gets distracted wile, studying, working or reading?
Why You Can’t Focus and What Are the obstacles to concentration?
There are various reasons why you can’t focus:
- Lack of enough willpower
- Lack of enough self discipline
- Undisciplined mind
- Too much interest in other thoughts
- Physical and mental restlessness
- Lack of understanding of what concentration is
- Inability to sit still
- Ill health
- Lack of motivation
- Too much stress and lack of enough rest or sleep
- Too much addiction to the social media
There are other obstacles to concentration, but these are the main ones. All of them can be treated if you are earnest enough to improve your focus.
The inability to focus and concentrate is shared by both young and adults people, but everyone who are willing to invest in time and effort, can strengthen these important skills.
How to Overcome the Inability to Focus and Concentrate
How to overcome your lack of concentration and focus? Is is possible to overcome the lack of focus? Yes, it’s possible, here are a few suggestions:
1. In order to overcome the inability to concentrate, you need to strengthen your willpower and self discipline through appropriate exercises.
You can find a few exercises in the article about willpower and self discipline. If you wish to gain greater inner strength, it would be a good idea to study and practice the exercises in the book Build up Strong Will Power and Self Discipline.
With the help of these exercises you will be able to discipline your mind and your thoughts, gain patience and overcome restlessness.
2. Often, during the day, think about the benefits of gaining the ability to concentrate and focus your mind. This can help to motivate you to take action and improve this ability.
3. You might also find it useful to repeat affirmations about your desire to improve your focus.
Repeating affirmations, if done earnestly, attentively and with belief, would strengthen your motivation and desire to improve your focus, and help you overcome the obstacles on the way.
Stop telling yourself and repeating in your mind, “I can’t focus, I can’t concentrate”, and instead, keep saying and believing that you can.
Accept the fact that focus is a skill you can develop, no matter how weak your focus is now.
Here Are a Few Affirmations:
“I want to improve my concentration and I am doing something about it.”
“I have the desire and motivation to improve my concentration.”
“I find the time every day to practice focus exercises.”
“Each day, my attention span is getting longer.”
4. Practicing some physical exercises during the day, will improve your health and your ability to overcome physical restlessness.
5. It is important to give yourself some rest during the day, and have enough sleep at night.
6. Try to stay calm and relaxed during the day, no matter what happens. You will find it useful to practice a few relaxation exercises and to stop taking things too personally.
3 eBooks for Inner Peace and a Stress-Free Life
7. Exhibiting some inner detachment would help. Don’t let yourself be too affected by what people say or do, and don’t let external influences affect your moods and state of mind.
If you let people and external events affect your moods and state of mind, how can you focus your mind when you need to? It is true, it might not be easy to get rid of this habit, but if you learn to be aware of this subconscious habit, you will gradually be able to weaken its affect on you.
8. Of course, don’t forget that you also need to find some time every day to practice concentration exercises.
9. Focus on what you are doing. When reading, focus, on what you are reading. While eating, focus on the food, its taste, smell and color. When dressing up, focus on the act of dressings up, and so forth. Don’t do when thing while thinking about something else.
Exercises and guidance to build up willpower and self-discipline
10. Hypnosis or listening to special CDs, might help and bring some quick results, but real and lasting results come through gradual work and by developing the mental muscles, not through external means.
Gradual and conscious development, produce in the long run, better and enduring results. It is like taking hormones and pills to develop physical strength and muscles, versus practicing actual physical exercises. It might take longer and it requires some effort, but the rewards are great and worthwhile.
You can overcome the obstacles to concentration, if you really desire to do so. They won’t disappear overnight, but eventually, they will. To do so, you need to train your mind to focus.
If you enjoyed reading my articles, you can thank me by clicking on the button below!