I am sure you have read or heard about affirmations. What are they and how do they affect your life? Why are they important and useful?
Affirmations are short positive statements, which declare as a fact a certain situation or habit that you want to change, a goal you want to achieve, or an object you want to possess.
Repeating frequently these statements – positive affirmations, silently in your mind or aloud, you hammer the words you are repeating into your subconscious mind. This process programs your subconscious mind to attract into your life the situations, people, possessions and goals you want to achieve.
- How do these statements work?
- Why do the words you repeat have the power to make changes in your life?
- How to use affirmations effectively?
In this article, we will talk about positive affirmations, how they work, and how to use them to create a better and happier life, wealth, love, health and much more.
What Are Positive Affirmations
These are positive statements that describe a desired situation, habit or goal that you want to achieve. Repeating them often, affects deeply the subconscious mind, and triggers it into action, to bring the words you are repeating into reality.
They are like meditation mantras that people use for meditation and keep repeating.
Mantras calm the mind and improve the focus, while constructive statements program the mind to act in accordance with the repeated words and affect the mind, the emotions, the body, and the circumstances.
The act of repeating the affirmations, mentally or aloud, increases the ambition and motivation, and attracts opportunities for improvement and success.
This act also programs the mind to act according to the repeated words, triggering the subconscious mind to work on one’s behalf, to make the positive statements come true.
- Affirmations are very useful for building new habits, making positive changes in one’s life, and for achieving goals.
- They help in weight loss, becoming more focused, studying better, changing habits and achieving dreams.
- They can be useful in sports, in business, improving one’s health, bodybuilding, and in many other areas.
- These positive statements affect the body, the mind and the feelings in a favorable way.
- They are an efficient tool for overcoming and changing limiting beliefs.
- They are a tool to help you create the life you want.
Positive Words Versus Negative Words
Repeating affirmations is quite common, though most people are not aware of this fact. People mostly repeat negative affirmations, not constructive ones. This is called negative self-talk.
If you have been telling yourself how unhappy you are, unable to study, do not have enough money, or how difficult life is, you have been repeating negative affirmations, you have been indulging in negative self talk
In this way, you create more difficulties and more problems, because you are focusing on the problems, and therefore, increasing them, instead of focusing on the solutions.
Most people repeat in their minds negative words and statements concerning the negative situations and events in their lives, and consequently, create more undesirable situations.
Ad - Continue reading below.
Words work in both ways, to build or destroy. It is the way we use them that determines whether they are going to bring good or harmful results.
We have talked here about negative words, but we need not forget negative feelings, which we need to avoid too. Words awaken feelings, and feelings awaken words. Repeating negative words awaken associated feelings, and this gives more power to the words.
Affirmations in Modern Times – Emile Coue
It is said that the French psychologist and pharmacist Emile Coue is the person who brought this subject to the public’s attention in the early 20th century.
Emile Coue noticed that when he told his patients how effective a potion was, the results were much better than if he said nothing. He realized that thoughts that occupy our minds become reality, and that repeating words and thoughts is a kind of autosuggestion.
Emile Coue is remembered for his famous statement, “Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better.”
Later in the 20th century, this was Louise Hay, who focused on this topic and called autosuggestions – affirmations.
Positive Affirmations in Everyday Life
Your subconscious mind accepts as true what you keep saying, and it attracts corresponding events and situations into your life. So why not choose only positive statements, so you create desirable results?
Imagine that you are swimming with your friends in a swimming pool. They swim fifteen rounds, something you have never done before, and since you want to win their respect, you want to show them that you can make it too.
You start swimming, and at the same time keep repeating in your mind, “I can do it, I can do it…”. You keep thinking and believing that you are going to complete the fifteen rounds. What are you actually doing? You are repeating positive affirmations.
In a different situation, you might find yourself repeating negative words, such as:
- “I cannot do this”
- “It’s too big for me”
- “It is not going to work out”
If you repeat these words, you lose enthusiasm, motivation and faith, and eventually, what you fear and keep telling yourself becomes true. It is important that you teach yourself to think constructive thoughts and repeat positive words instead.
Most people use words when they think and conduct inner conversations about their problems, difficulties, and the obstacles they meet. This is like repeating negative affirmations. This makes the problems and difficulties more acute and unpleasant. Instead, it is wiser to have a positive self talk that inspires, motivates and encourages.
All you need is to pay more attention to words you use in your mind, in your inner conversations, and when talking with other people.
It is wiser always to strive to talk and think about solutions, improvement, progress and winning.
Positive Affirmations Are Important
It would be a good idea to pay attention to the words you repeat in your mind, to discover whether you are using negative statements, such as:
- I cannot do this
- I am too lazy
- I lack inner strength
- I am going to fail
- I will never have enough money
If you discover that these, or similar words, run in your mind, you should do something to change them. You need to replace them with positive words and statements.
Your words and thoughts program your mind in the same way that commands and scripts program a computer. This means that you can reprogram your mind, in the same way that you can install a new program on your computer.
Repeating affirmations helps you create corresponding mental images in your conscious, which affect the subconscious mind accordingly. In this way, you program your subconscious mind in accordance with your will.
This means that what you think and repeat in your conscious mind, affects your subconscious mind, which in turn, takes charge and helps you to make changes in your life and to achieve your goals.
By using this process consciously, you influence your subconscious mind, and make it transform your habits, attitude and reactions, and even re-shape your external life.
How Long Does It Take to Get Results?
This is a difficult question to answer. Results might appear immediately, in a few hours, in a few days, or take weeks or longer. This depends on your focus, faith, strength of desire, the feelings you put into the words, and on how big or small your goal is.
Do not Neutralize the Effect of Your Words
It is important to understand that repeating affirmations for a few minutes, and then thinking negatively the rest of the day, neutralizes the effects of the positive words.
If you want to get results, you have to refuse to think negative thoughts and repeat negative words. When negative thoughts invade your mind, always replace them with positive thoughts and words.
When worries and negative thoughts occupy your mind, just direct your attention to something else. Do this over and again, no matter how many times you return to the worries and negative thoughts, and eventually, you will replace them with new and constructive thoughts.
Keeping a list of daily affirmations, and repeating them often, is a most useful practice.
How to Repeat Positive Affirmations
- Choose affirmations that are not too long, of one sentence. They are easier to repeat and focus on.
- Frequent repetitions is important. You can repeat them when you are not busy with something that requires your attention, such as while traveling in a bus or a train, waiting in line, walking, etc. You may also repeat them in special sessions of 5-10 minutes, several times a day. Be careful not repeat them while driving or crossing a street.
- Be as relaxed as you can while repeating them.
- Pay full attention to the words you are repeating.
- Believe what you repeating, and feel that your desire or goal has already come true, or is in the process of becoming true. This will bring faster results.
- Preferably, choose positive words with no negative connotations. If you want to lose weight, don’t use words such as, “I am not fat”, or “I am losing weight.” These are negative statements, bringing into the mind mental images of what you do not want. Repeat instead, “I am getting slim”, or “I have my ideal weight”. Such words build positive images in your mind.
- Use the present tense when repeating affirmations, not the future tense. Saying, “I will be rich”, means that you intend to be rich one day, in the indefinite future, but not now. It is more effective to say, and also to feel, “I am rich now”, and the subconscious mind will work to make this happen now, in the present.
- State what you want to be true in your life, and mentally and emotionally see and feel it as true, irrespective of your current circumstances. This will help you attract it into your life.
- It would be a good idea to add the following words, “Everything would happen in the best way and to the highest good.”
List of Positive Daily Affirmations
Below, you will find a list of affirmations. Choose the ones you like most, and make them your daily affirmations to repeat every day. You don’t need to repeat all of them. Repeat just a few that are most suitable for your needs or goals.
They can change your mindset into a positive mindset. They make you feel better, more confident and happier, and they affect your life and the situations you encounter in a constructive way. Repeating them often can help you make great changes in your life.
Remember, if you wish to get results, daily repetition is most important, not just a few times, but many times, whenever you have a few moments or minutes.
It would be a good idea to start your day by repeating them in the morning, after waking up, and then at night, before falling asleep. Repeat them also during the day, whenever you have the time.
List of affirmations:
1. I am healthy and feel very good.
2. My life is full of happiness and joy.
3. A constant supply of wealth is pouring into my life.
4. I am sailing on the river of wealth.
5. I am getting wealthier each day.
6. My body is healthy and functioning in a very good way.
7. I have a lot of energy.
8. My mind is calm and relaxed.
9. I am calm and relaxed in every situation.
10. I am at peace with myself and with the world.
11. My thoughts are under my control.
12. I radiate love and happiness around me.
13. I am surrounded by love.
14. I have the perfect job for me.
15. I am living in the house of my dreams.
16. I have good and loving relationship with my wife.
17. I have good and loving relationship with my husband.
18. There is great love in our family.
19. I have a wonderful and satisfying job.
20. I have the means to travel abroad, whenever I want to.
21. I am successful in whatever I do.
22. My ability to get along very well with everyone is improving day by day.
23. Everything in my life is getting better every day.
24. I allow into my mind only good and happy thoughts.
25. My thoughts attract happiness and prosperity into my life.
26. My efforts are fruitful, and all my plans turn out even better than I expected.
27. I am always heading in the right direction, in whatever I do.
28. I am experiencing happiness and joy everyday.
29. I work in a congenial and pleasant environment.
30. I get along very good with everyone.
31. Day by day I am progressing toward my perfect weight.
32. I have the perfect weight for me.
33. My positive attitude is making everything easier in my life.
34. Wonderful things are happening in my life every day.
35. I let go of worries and enjoy inner peace.
36. I am in charge of my time.
37. I make good and wise decisions.
38. I make wise and responsible decisions.
39. Each night, I fall asleep quickly and easily.
40. I sleep a very good sleep every night.
41. I study and understand everything fast.
42. I am going to get good grades at the examination.
43. I have the courage to follow my dreams and make them come true.
44. I can learn to swim.
45. I can learn to dance.
46. I have the talent to learn foreign languages.
47. I am happy and content with my life.
48. I have the means and the time to travel wherever I want.
49. Each day, I am improving myself and my life.
50. Day by day my life is improving in every area.
51. I am confident in my ability to get whatever I want.
52. I am grateful for having good and helpful people in my life.
53. I am learning new things every day.
54. I have plenty of inspiration, motivation and courage, which help me achieve everything I want.
55. I have patience span is increasing every day.
56. I have many good friends who enjoy my company.
57. I have the inspiration, motivation and creativity to carry out any task or plan.
58. I enjoy good , happy and joyous feelings.
59. I welcome positive thoughts into my mind, thoughts that make me feel confident and happy.
For more examples, read 121 Amazing Positive Affirmations
I Am Affirmations
What are ‘I am affirmations’?
These are positive statements that use the pronoun ‘I’ or ‘I am’. They are short positive words about something you want.
Why they are important? They are important because they emphasize something about you. These are words that relate to you. You state something about you or about something you want.
Here is a short list of ‘I am’ affirmations. True, they are similar to other affirmations, but they start with the words ‘I’ or ‘I Am’, and they are rather short.
List of short I am affirmations
1. I am happy.
2. I am healthy.
3. I am learning to let go of worries.
4. I am energetic and full of enthusiasm.
5. I am worthy of having a lot of money.
6. I am friendly and kind.
7. I am loved.
8. I deserve to be happy.
9. I attract good things into my life.
10. I am learning to forgive.
If you wish to know more about this fascinating topic, understand how this power works, and learn how to use it correctly, I recommend that you read my book, Affirmations Words with Power. This book will teach you everything you need to know to make the power of affirmations work in your life.
Image source – DepositPhotos