In this article, we will explore the two important skills, willpower and self-discipline, and provide some useful advice and exercises.
Just to make it clear, in case you have doubts, you can cultivate these skills by practicing some exercises. You can find here a few exercises for willpower and self discipline training.
No matter how undeveloped these skills are, you can improve them if you are earnest enough.
Willpower and self-discipline play a major role in life. They lead to success, if you have them, or to failure or mediocrity, if you lack them.
Successful people possess these two skills, and if you wish to be successful you need to possess them too.
Willpower and Self-Discipline Definitions
Let’s first define willpower, and then define self-discipline. A term that is defined is always better understood.
What is willpower?
- It is the ability to avoid unnecessary and harmful impulses.
- The skill making a decision and carrying it out with perseverance, until its successful accomplishment.
- This is the inner strength that enables you to refuse indulging in unnecessary and unhealthy habits.
- It is inner power that enables you to overcome inner and external resistance and obstacles.
- Willpower is the ability to overcome laziness and procrastination.
- The inner resolution to get out of your comfort zone.
Self Discipline Definition:
What is self discipline?
- Self Discipline is the inner strength that enables you to persevere with whatever you do.
- It is the strength to withstand physical, emotional and mental hardships and difficulties.
- The ability to persevere and be tenacious.
- It is the ability to reject immediate satisfaction for some greater gain in the future.
- The ability to give up short term pleasure, in order to reach your goal, no matter how long it takes.
- It is mental strength, sustained confidence and persistence.
Developing these two important skills enables you to overcome laziness, procrastination and impatience, and develop self-control and inner strength.
The Role of Self-Discipline and Willpower
These two skills supply the inner strength you need to make decisions. They also enable you to carry them out. They give you persistence to continue with your plans, despite difficulties and obstacles.
They provide perseverance, persistence and the ability to stick to your goals. They also give you the strength to resist the temptation to indulge in habits and actions that can hurt you.
These skills can help you change your life, lose weight, avoid eating junk food, build good habits, and avoid bad habits. They are most useful for everyone, in every area of life and for every age.
It is essential to start developing the powers of self discipline and willpower. If you wish to succeed in life there should be no excuses, procrastination or laziness.
Questions about Willpower and Self-Discipline
Do you sometimes ask yourself:
- How to get willpower?
- How can I become a more disciplined person?
- What to do to develop self discipline?
- How can I persevere with whatever I do?
- Why do you give up too quickly?
- How can I have the patience and persistence to accomplish long term goals?
- How to avoid spending too much time on social media accounts?
Continue reading and find out the answers. If you wish to get full guidance and exercises, read my book on willpower and self discipline.
There is no reason to feel bad if you lack these skill. The purpose of this article and the book mentioned above is to help you develop these skills.
More Questions to Ask Yourself
Answer the following questions:
- Do you sometimes feel that you lack the inner strength to take action, act assertively or persevere?
- Are there habits that you want to change, but feel that you lack the necessary inner strength to change?
- How many times have you made a decision to go for a walk, but instead, stayed home and watched TV instead, due to laziness?
- How many times have you tried unsuccessfully to change your eating habits, stop smoking, or get up earlier in the morning?
- When offered some tasty, but not healthy food, can you resist eating it?
- Do you start doing things, but quit after a short while?
You can change this behavior by strengthening your self-discipline and willpower. All you need is some training, guidance and advice. You will feel stronger, confident, and in charge of yourself and of your life.
- The possession of these two important skills improves your self-control. People who possess self control are more poised and have better control over their life and actions.
- Self disciplined people possess inner strength, which helps them deal more easily and confidently with problems and obstacles.
- These skills give self-confidence and assertiveness.
- Self disciplined people possess more willpower than others. These people do not allow their choices to be dictated by impulses or by what other people say or do.
A Common Misconception
There is a misconception in the public mind regarding willpower and self discipline.
It is erroneously believed that strengthening them requires deprivation and a lot of mental and physical strain and effort. This is not true. You can build up these skills through simple exercises, and even enjoy the process.
How to Strengthen Willpower and Improve Self-Discipline
Taking action despite laziness, shyness, inconvenience and the tendency to procrastinate, is an effective technique for willpower and self discipline training.
Carrying out tasks, despite inner resistance and reluctance, make you stronger.
Muscles get stronger by resisting the weight of barbells. In the same way, these skills get stronger by overcoming your inner resistance to act.
Simple Willpower and Self-discipline Exercises
How to improve self-discipline and how to increase willpower? This should not be difficult. Try practicing any of the exercises below, whenever you have the time.
The amount of time you spend on these exercises is well-spent. They lead to a mental state of inner strength.
Exercise no. 1
You are sitting in a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in. Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated. Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind and feelings.
Exercise no. 2
There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later.
Instead of postponing, get up and wash them now. Do not let laziness control you. That might be tough, but this exercise would improve your willpower.
Exercise no. 3
Do you sit in front of your T.V when you come home from work? Are you too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of your T.V. Instead go and take a shower immediately.
Additional Exercises for Willpower and Self Discipline Training
Exercise no. 4
Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.
Exercise no. 5
Do you, like many others, like to read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper or magazine? Then, for one whole week, abstain from doing so. This might not be easy, but it’s good for your training. I am not telling you to do so indefinitely, but for only one week.
Exercise no. 6
If you have the choice of going up with the elevator or climbing the stairs, choose climbing the stairs. However, climb the stairs only if it’s not a high story, and you are in good physical condition.
The Importance of Constant Training
The above exercises are simple and not difficult to practice. Practicing them would add to your inner strength. This strength would be available to you, whenever you need it.
Remember, the purpose of the exercises is to develop inner strength, not to make life difficult for you.
Lifting weights, practicing aerobics, or any other kind of sport, strengthen your muscles. Then, you can use your physical strength whenever you need it. It is the same with willpower and self-discipline.
By training, strengthening and building willpower and self-discipline, you make them available for your use anytime you need them. You can use them to change your habits, get more control over your life, and have the necessary inner strength for personal and spiritual growth.
If you suffer from lack of willpower, and if you feel the need of building self discipline, do not procrastinate. Take the first step today.
Starting small, taking small steps, and gradually moving on, make each task and goal easier to accomplish. In this way, you develop confidence and faith in yourself, and this increases your sense of inner strength.
Keep the goal in mind to practice self discipline and willpower exercises. Achieving our goals in life, and any specific goal, requires that we stay motivated to develop these skills.
“Discipline really means our ability to get ourselves to do things when we don’t want.”
“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
“Self control is the power within you that holds the reins of anger, intolerance and impulsiveness.”
Do you wish to learn more exercises, get more guidance, and find more advice? If you do, I highly recommend reading the book mentioned below.
Inner strength is a learned behavior.
You might like reading self discipline quotes.
Thank you for reading! To support my website and work, please click on the button below! Thanks in advance!