In this article, we will explore the two important skills, willpower and self-discipline, and provide some useful advice and exercises.
Just to make it clear, in case you have doubts, you can cultivate these skills by practicing certain exercises.
If you follow the advice provided on this page and in my book, you will see improvement.
No matter how undeveloped these skills are, you can improve them, if you are earnest enough.
Do you sometimes ask yourself:
- How to get willpower?
- How can I become more disciplined?
- How to develop self discipline?
- How can I persevere with whatever I do?
- Why do you give up too quickly?”
- How can I have the patience and persistence to accomplish long term goals?
- How to avoid spending too much time on social media accounts?
Willpower and self-discipline play a major role in life, leading to success if you possess them, or to failure or mediocrity if you lack them.
These two skills are most important for handling efficiently any task, and for achieving any goal.
Successful people possess these two skills, and if you wish to be successful you need to possess them too.
Willpower and Self-Discipline Definitions
Let’s first define define willpower, and then, define self-discipline. A term that is defined is always better understood. We will begin with willpower definition and then proceed to self discipline definition.
Below, is a concise willpower definition:
- The ability to avoid unnecessary and harmful impulses.
- The ability to arrive at a decision and follow it with perseverance, until its successful accomplishment.
- It is the inner strength that enables you to refuse to indulge in unnecessary and unhealthy habits.
- It is inner power that enables you to overcome inner and external resistance and obstacles.
- It is the antidote to laziness and procrastination.
- It is the ability to get out of your comfort zone.
Self Discipline Definition:
Here is a concise self discipline definition:
Ad - Continue reading below.
- It is the inner strength that enables you to persevere with whatever you do.
- It is the strength to withstand physical, emotional and mental hardships and difficulties.
- It means perseverance and tenacity.
- It is the ability to reject immediate satisfaction, pleasure or comfort, in order to gain something better, even if it requires effort and time to gain.
Developing these two important skills will enable you to overcome laziness, procrastination and impatience, and develop self-control and inner strength.
The Role of Self-Discipline and Willpower
These two skills are the suppliers of inner strength, which you need for making decisions and following them through, taking action, and continuing with your actions, despite difficulties and obstacles.
They provide perseverance, persistence and the ability to stick to your goals. They also give you the strength to resist temptation to do do things that can distract you from the pursuit of your goals.
These skills can help you change your life, lose weight, avoid junk food, build good habits, and avoid bad habits. They are most useful for everyone, in every area of life and for every age.
There should be no excuses, procrastination or laziness, if you wish to succeed in life. You need to start developing the powers of self discipline and willpower.
How to be self disciplined and possess inner strength? Continue reading and you will find out.
Answer the following questions:
- Do you sometimes feel that you lack the inner strength to take action, act assertively or persevere?
- Are there habits that you want to change, but feel that you lack the necessary inner strength to change them?
- How many times you have you decided to go for a walk, knowing how wonderful you feel afterwards, but due to laziness or lack of inner strength, you stayed at home and watched TV instead?
- How many times have you tried to change your eating habits, stop smoking, or get up earlier in the morning, but you didn’t possess |the needed inner strength and persistence?
- When offered some tasty, but not healthy food, can you resist eating it?
- Do you start doing things, but quit after a short while?
You can change this behavior by strengthening your self-discipline and willpower.
All you need is some training, guidance and advice.
After a certain period of time working on strengthening your willpower and self-discipline, you will be able to choose your reactions and overcome negative habits. You will feel more powerful, confident, and in charge of yourself and of your life.
- The possession of these two important skills improves your self-control. People who possess self control are more poised and have better control over their life and actions.
- Self disciplined people possess inner strength, which helps them deal more easily and confidently with problems and obstacles.
- These skills give self-confidence and assertiveness.
- Self disciplined people possess more willpower than others, and they do not allow their choices to be dictated by impulses or feelings and what other people say or do.
A Misconception That Needs Correction
There is a misconception in the public mind regarding willpower and self discipline.
It is erroneously believed that strengthening them requires deprivation and a lot of mental and physical strain and effort. This is not true. You can build up these skills through simple exercises, and even enjoy the process.
How to Strengthen Willpower and Improve Self-Discipline
Doing things, which you would rather avoid doing, due to laziness, procrastination, lack of assertiveness, shyness, or other reasons, is a simple and effective technique to strengthen these two skills.
Carrying out such tasks, despite your inner resistance and reluctance, make you stronger.
As muscles get stronger by resisting the weight of barbells, so these skills are strengthened by overcoming the inner resistance.
Simple Willpower and Self-discipline Exercises
How to improve self-discipline and how to increase willpower? This should not be difficult. Try practicing the following exercises whenever you have the time:
Exercise no. 1
You are sitting in a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in. Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated. Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind and feelings.
Exercise no. 2
There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later. Instead of postponing, get up and wash them now.Do not let laziness control you.When you know that in this way, you are actually strengthening yourself, it becomes easier to take immediate action, despite laziness and the desire to procrastinate.
Exercise no. 3
You come home from work and sit in front of the T.V., because you feel too lazy and too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of the T.V, and go take a shower immediately.
Exercise no. 4
Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.
Exercise no. 5
Do you, like many others, like to read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper or magazine? Then, for one whole week, abstain from doing so. This might not be easy, but it’s good for your training. I am not telling you to do so indefinitely, but for only one week.
Exercise no. 6
If you have the choice of going up with the elevator or climbing the stairs, choose climbing the stairs. However, climb the stairs only if it’s not a high storey, and you are in good physical condition.
The Importance of Constant Training
The above exercises are simple and not difficult to practice. Though they relate to simple tasks, practicing them improves your inner strength, which you will be then able to use for tasks and activities that require more inner strength.
Remember, the purpose of the exercises is to develop inner strength, not to make life difficult for you.
When you practice weight lifting, aerobics, or any other kind of sport, you strengthen your muscles, and can therefore, use your physical strength whenever you need it. It is the same with willpower and self-discipline.
By training, strengthening and building willpower and self-discipline, you make them available for your use, anytime you need them.
They help you change your habits, give you more control over your life, and provide you with the necessary inner strength for personal and spiritual growth. They also impart you the perseverance necessary for achieving goals.
You suffer from lack of willpower, and if you feel the need of building self discipline, do not procrastinate. Take the first step today.
Starting small, taking small steps, and gradually moving on, make each task and goal easier to accomplish. In this way, you develop confidence and faith in yourself, and this increases your sense of inner strength.
“Discipline really means our ability to get ourselves to do things when we don’t want.”
“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
“Self control is the power within you that holds the reins of anger, intolerance and impulsiveness.”
Do you wish to learn more exercises, get more guidance, and find more advice? If you do, I highly recommend reading the book mentioned below.
Did you enjoy reading this post? If you did, we would appreciate if you purchase one of our books.