Do you sometimes ask yourself:
- “How to get willpower?”
- “How to be disciplined?”
- “How to develop self discipline?”
In this article, we will explore these two important skills, willpower and develop self-discipline, and provide some useful advice and exercises.
You can cultivate these skills by practicing certain suitable exercises and following the advice provided. No matter how undeveloped these skills are, you can improve them considerably.
Willpower and self-discipline play a major role life, leading to success if you possess them, or to failure or mediocrity if you lack them. These two skills are most important for handling efficiently any task and for achieving any goal.
Willpower and Self-Discipline Definitions
Let’s first define each skill.
We will begin with willpower definition and then proceed to self discipline definition.
- The ability to control or reject unnecessary or harmful impulses.
- The ability to arrive at a decision and follow it with perseverance, until its successful accomplishment.
- It is the inner strength that enables you to refuse to indulge in unnecessary and useless habits.
- It is inner power that enables you to overcome inner and external resistance and obstacles.
- It is the antidote to laziness and procrastination.
Self Discipline Definition:
- It is the companion of willpower. It gives you with the stamina to persevere with whatever you do.
- It is the strength to withstand physical, emotional and mental hardships and difficulties.
- It stands for perseverance and tenacity.
- It is the ability to reject immediate satisfaction, pleasure or comfort, in order to gain something better, even if it requires effort and time to gain.
Developing these two important skills will enable you to overcome laziness, procrastination and impatience, and develop self-control and inner strength.
What Can Self-Discipline and Willpower Do for You
These two skills are the suppliers of inner strength, which you need for making decisions and following them, taking action, and continuing with your actions, despite difficulties and obstacles.
These skills can help you change your life, lose weight, build good habits and avoid bad habits. They are most useful for everyone, in every area of life and for every age.
Everyone needs these skills. There should be no excuses – the power of self discipline need to be increased, as well as willpower.
Ad - Continue reading below.
How to be self disciplined and possess inner strength? Continue reading and you will find out.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you sometimes, feel that you lack the inner strength to take action, act assertively or persevere?
- Are there any habits that you want to change, but feel that you lack the necessary inner strength to change?
- How many times you have you decided to go for a walk, knowing how wonderful you feel afterwards, but due to laziness or lack of inner strength, you stayed at home and watched TV instead?
- How many times have you tried to change your eating habits, stop smoking, or get up earlier in the morning, but you didn’t possess enough inner strength and persistence?
- Do you start doing things, but quit after a short while?
You can change this behavior when you strengthen your self-discipline and willpower.
All you need is some training, guidance and advice.
After strengthening your willpower and strengthening your self-discipline, you will be able to choose your reactions and overcome negative habits. You will feel more powerful, confident, and in charge of yourself and of your life.
A Misconception That Needs Correction
There is a misconception in the public mind regarding willpower and self discipline.
It is erroneously believed that their development requires a lot of mental and physical strain and effort. This is not true. You can build up these skills through simple exercises, and even enjoy the process.
- The possession of these two important skill improves your self-control. People who possess self control are more poised and have better control over their life and actions.
- Self disciplined people possess inner strength, which helps them deal more easily and confidently with problems and obstacles.
- When these two skills are well-developed there is more control, more power, and more assertiveness.
- Self disciplined people usually possess more willpower than others, and do not allow their choices to be dictated by impulses or feelings and what other people say or do.
All this means better chances of accomplishing what you plan set out to do.
How to Strengthen Willpower and Improve Self-Discipline
A simple and effective technique to strengthen these two skills, is to do things, which you would rather avoid doing, due to laziness, procrastination, lack of assertiveness, shyness, or other reasons.
By carrying out such actions, despite your inner resistance and reluctance, you become stronger.
As muscles get stronger by resisting the weight of barbells, so these skills are strengthened by overcoming the inner resistance.
Simple and Powerful Exercises
How to improve self-discipline and how to increase your willpower? This should not be difficult. Try practicing the following exercises whenever you have the time:
Exercise no. 1
You are sitting in a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in. Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated.Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind and feelings.
Exercise no. 2
There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later. Instead of postponing, get up and wash them now.Do not let laziness control you.When you know that in this way, you are actually strengthening yourself, it becomes easier to take immediate action, despite laziness and the desire to procrastinate.
Exercise no. 3
You come home from work and sit in front of the T.V., because you feel too lazy and too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of the T.V, and go take a shower immediately.
Exercise no. 4
Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.
Exercise no. 5
Do you, like many others, like to read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper or magazine? Then, for one whole week, abstain from doing so. This might not be easy, but it’s good for your training. I am not telling you to do so indefinitely, but for only one week.
Exercise no. 6
If you have the choice of going up with the elevator or climbing the stairs, choose climbing the stairs. However, climb the stairs only if it’s not a high storey, and you are in good physical condition.
The Importance of Constant Training
The above exercises are simple and not difficult to practice.
Remember, the purpose of the exercises is to develop inner strength, not to make life difficult for you.
When you practice weight lifting, aerobics, or any other kind of sport, you strengthen your muscles, and can therefore, use your physical strength whenever you need it. It is the same with willpower and self-discipline.
By training, strengthening and building willpower and self-discipline, you make them available for your use, anytime you need them.
They help you change your habits, give you more control over your life, and provide you with the necessary inner strength for personal and spiritual growth. They also impart you the perseverance necessary for achieving goals.
“Discipline really means our ability to get ourselves to do things when we don’t want.”
“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
“Self control is the power within you that holds the reins of anger, intolerance and impulsiveness.”
Do you wish to learn more exercises, get more guidance, and find more advice? If you do, I highly recommend reading the book mentioned below.