- What is intuition?
- What is the definition of intuition?
- Does it have any similarity with esp and psychic powers?
- Is it possible to develop this ability?
Let’s talk about intuition definition and meaning to make this word clearer.
What Is Intuition – Definitions
How can we define this ability? We use the word intuition, but what is its meaning?
It is what is often called a “gut feeling” or a hunch. It is a process of getting knowledge and understanding through other means than thinking, learning, or the five senses.
Intuition is a subconscious process, which brings information, solutions, and understanding on how to proceed into the conscious mind.
The word intuition comes from the Latin verb intueri translated as “consider” or from the late middle English word intuit, “to contemplate”.
Here Are More Detailed Definitions of Intuition
- Intuition is knowledge gained through psychic means, not through the reasoning process or the five senses.
- Subconscious, quick thought processes that produce knowledge or solutions.
- The ability to draw conclusions and understanding from previously acquired experiences and information.
- It is instinctive knowledge or belief.
- It is what is called gut feeling.
- Intuition is often called the sixth sense.
- Intuition means knowing and understanding without thoughts or words.
- It is a hunch – knowledge and certainty not obtained through reason or thinking.
- It is quick insight and understanding.
Intuition Definitions from Various Sources
Cambridge dictionary says:
“Ability to understand or know something immediately based on your feelings rather than facts.”
Merriam webster defines intuition as:
“The power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference.”
Collins dictionary says about the meaning of this word:
“Knowledge or belief obtained neither by reason nor by perception. Instinctive knowledge or belief.”
Intuition is not a conscious process and not a step-by-step procedure that uses logic, reason and common sense. You just know and are convinced of what you know.
Often, the intuition is correct, sometimes, it might be wrong.
We often judge people by intuition. We refuse a job offer, trust people or take risks, all based on intuition.
Where does intuition come from?
From where do we get the knowledge, understanding or insight?
- It is knowledge stored in the subconscious mind.
- It appears through subconscious interpretation of body language.
- It is the product of very quick thinking and conclusion making.
- It is manifests due to quick understanding of a problem or situation, too quick for the reasoning mind.>
- Accessing knowledge not available to the five senses.
- Accessing the collective subconscious, or some higher realms.
People, often use the following phrases when talking about intuition:
- Gut feeling.
- My heart is telling me…
- I don’t know why, but I am sure…
- I have a hunch that…
- The little voice within me.
How Do You Become Aware of Intuition?
- It is a sort of sensation that you feel inside you.
- It is some sort of understanding without words.>
- You feel inner certainty.
- You become aware of mental images that pop up into your mind.
- You become aware of words that repeat themselves in your mind.
- Sudden understanding of what you need to do.
- Being aware of a solution.
- You feel an inner urge to act in a certain way.
Short Intuition Definition
If you wish to have a short and concise intuition definition, here it is:
Intuition is the ability to process information from the outside world, as well information from within your subconscious mind, from past experiences and knowledge, things you have heard and seen, as well as knowledge and information outside your mind and beyond your immediate environment.
Developing Your Intuition
- You can develop your intuition by being more aware of the little voice within you, which sometimes whispers to you, telling you what to do and what to avoid doing.
- Each day, find a few moments to get quiet and listen to the small voice within you.
- This skill gets sharper when you are able to calm down the endless chatter of your mind,.
- Strengthening your concentration ability helps you improve your intuition, hunches and gut feelings. This happens, because with a focused mind you can ignore doubts, fears and distracting thoughts. In such a situation, your hunches and gut feeling gets sharper.
- Practicing meditation can also be helpful.
- Before making an important decision, sit down in a quiet place, think a while about the decision you need to make, and then stop thinking about it and just try to listen quietly to your intuition.
Please remember, not all inner sensations, gut feelings or sudden understandings are intuition. Think before you act and use your common sense, and at the same time, do not be afraid to follow your intuition.
Create a unique life with our unique eBooks.
Image source – DepositPhotos