So many people have wonderful dreams that are buried just beneath the surface – a book they’d love to write, a business venture they’d like to pursue, a race they’d like to sign up for, or a trip they want to take.
If only they had more time, more motivation, more get-up-and-go.
If only they weren’t so busy, or if only they had more money, more connections, more support.
If only they could get organized, or if only they could get some time to think.
If only they could figure out the first steps.
Here’s what I know:
1. The bigger we allow ourselves to dream, the more we accomplish and the more we start to see what is possible.
2. We don’t have to be any more amazing than we already are to do amazing things.
3. We don’t have to know exactly how we are going to make our dream come true in order to start pursuing it. But we do need to HAVE the dream.
We do need to have a clear intention that we’re going to do whatever it is and we do have to create space in our life for our dreams to emerge.
4. Big dreams usually don’t require immediate big steps. Small, steady, consistent steps tend to create the most solid and enduring results.
Your Coaching Challenge
1. You’ve heard this from me before – set some goals.
It is vitally important to put what we want into words.
- Set goals that are concrete and goals that you can get excited about, both short term and longer term goals.
- Think about what you WANT to do, not what you think you SHOULD do.
- Choose goals that make you smile when you think about achieving them.
2. Ask yourself how and when you can commit time to your dreams.
If you need to create some space, ask yourself what you can give up, say “no” to or delegate. Even if you only have fifteen minutes a day or one Saturday afternoon a month, claim your time. Schedule it for you and write it in your calendar.
3. Ask yourself what you need to get started.
Do you need a boost in motivation or some inspiration? Do you need an actual place to work on your dream? A supporter or a mentor? More information?
Don’t expect yourself to solve this problem in one fell swoop. Try to define one small step you could take towards obtaining what you need. Write the step down and set a date by which you’ll accomplish that piece.
4. Take Action.
Sharing our goals is one of the most powerful steps you can take. Tell someone you trust about your goal and share your plan for completing your first concrete step.
About the Author
Melissa McCreery, PhD, ACC, is a Psychologist, ICF Certified Life Coach, emotional eating expert, and the founder of www.TooMuchOnHerPlate.com, a company dedicated to providing smart resources to busy women struggling with food, weight and overwhelm.
Learn How to Manifest and Achieve Whatever You Want!
Discover How to Use the law of attraction