The main aim of all people, even if they are not aware of it, is happiness.
Why do people watch movies, go to shows, swim, dance, eat at restaurants or travel abroad? The reason is happiness. Everyone wants love in his or her life, a better job, health and money. This is because people believe that all these things will make them happy.
Why do people overeat, drink, smoke or go on vacations? They unconsciously believe that these activities would make them feel happy. Often, these activities create happiness and satisfaction, but this happiness is usually temporary and does last not long.
What are the ways to be happy and stay happy? I mean ways that are healthy and within immediate reach. You cannot go on a vacation at any time you want, overeating is not so healthy, and you cannot always change your job to a better one.
There many activities that can make one feel happy, at least for a short while, and then you need to engage in some other activity. It is important to find activities and actions that create a happy state of mind, without any negative consequences, and which can make happiness stay longer. Below, you will find a few examples.
Ways to Be and Stay Happy
1. Get enough sleep at night. This will make you feel better during the day, and therefore, happier.
2. Watch funny movies that make you laugh.
3. Associate with happy people. This will affect how you feel.
4. Read inspiring quotes every day, especially in the morning, before starting your day, and at night, before going to sleep.
5. Teach yourself to look at the good things and stop dwelling on the negative things in life. Focusing on the good and not on the bad will make you more positive.
6. Exercise your body regularly. This will make you more energetic and positive, and therefore, happier.
7. Find time for yourself every day, to do something you love doing.
8. If you work hard every day, take a day off once in a while, away from work and away from home.
Ad - Continue reading below.
9. If you want to do a little more, start repeating happiness affirmations. Repeating affirmations attentively, and believing the words you are repeating, can change how you feel, and in time, might turn happiness into a habit. Here is an example:
“Happiness is filling me every hour of the day and night.”
10. Another useful method is visualization. Visualize yourself feeling happy in various daily life situations. If you don’t weaken these thoughts by doubts or negative thoughts, you will start to experience more happiness in your life.
All these activities would make you feel better, more energetic, and happier.
Obtaining a More Permanent State of Happiness
If the happiness we are seeking depends on certain external situations, on people, or on certain activities, it will be only temporary. If you wish to enjoy happiness that does not depend on people and circumstances, you need to do seek different methods.
The best way, in my opinion, to experience happiness on a regular basis and turn it into a habit is to teach your mind to become calm and peaceful. When you learn to calm down the restlessness of your mind, you begin to enjoy happiness, no matter where you are or what you are doing.
When the mind is calm and peaceful, you also experience happiness, since happiness and inner peace are interrelated. When there is inner peace there is happiness, and vice versa.
When do you feel happy?
- You feel happy after solving a problem that has been bothering you.
- Happiness arises when you are relieved from a certain burden.
- There is a sense of happiness and relief after carrying out a task that you do not like.
- You feel happy after achieving a goal.
- This feeling arises when you get something that you have wanted for a long time.
- You feel happy when you are in love.
In these situations, you also experience inner peace. For a while, your mind becomes free from thoughts, worries and burdens, and there is nothing to stop happiness from arising from within you and filling your awareness.
How to Calm the Mind and Become Happy
As said earlier, a calm mind allows happiness to fill your awareness. How do you calm your mind and become happy?
The methods for calming down the mind involve concentration exercises, meditation, and a few other techniques. As you practice these techniques, about which I have written extensively in my articles and books, you will gradually become a calmer and happier person.
If you are interested in learning how to calm the mind, its incessant chatter and its restlessness, and starting experiencing more peace and happiness in your life, I suggest you read the articles and books about this topic. Here are a few articles you will find helpful and a few books:
Tips for Happiness in Daily Life
10 Tips to Help You Choose to Be Happy
Concentration Exercises for Training the Mind
Tips to Improve Concentration
How to Calm Your Mind and Your Thoughts
Emotional Detachment Can Improve Your Life
How to Focus Your Mind
Peace of Mind in the Busy Daily Life
Calm Down the Nonstop Chatter of Your Mind