Are you living in a noisy environment? What do you do about it?
Someone has asked me the following question:
“I understand it is important to own your mind, but what if you live next door to really noisy people who drive you crazy and make you lose you sleep?”
“I cannot help thinking that the people who write these books have big detached houses so they already have a peaceful environment at least.”
Here is my answer:
Living in a noisy environment can be exhausting and stressful. We cannot always control our environment, and it is not always possible to live in a peaceful environment. However, there are a few things we can do.
You can teach yourself to ignore noise and distractions. This is possible, and I know this from personal experience.
On the plus side, learning to calm down your mind in an environment that is not quiet, and striving to ignore the noise and distractions, helps you develop inner strength and endurance.
In this process, you gain inner power, will power, self discipline and a sense of satisfaction.
Things to Do if You live in a Noisy Environment
1. You can go and speak with your neighbors, and ask them to be a little quiet.
If you think they will not listen to you, then visualize yourself speaking with them politely, but with confidence and authority, asking them to be quiet. See them being polite and nice, telling you they are going to be less noisy.
Repeat this visualization for a few days, and then go and speak with them. This visualization will make you more confident, and your neighbors will be more willing to accept what you are asking.
2. You can also visualize yourself living in a quiet and happy environment. Do so with the belief that this can happen. Sooner or later something will change, either your neighbors get less noisy, they will move, you will move, or the noise will stop bothering you.
3. There must be times during the day or night that are quieter. Take advantage of these times, and use them to the things that require more quietness, such as reading, studying or meditating.
4. If there is nothing you can do, try to develop some patience and endurance, and to stay positive in mind, no matter how difficult or impossible this might be. If you continue to do so, gradually, you will discover that the noise is less annoying and distracting.
5. If possible, consider moving to quieter surroundings.
6. While it is true that a quiet environment is important for attaining inner peace, one can attain inner peace even in a noisy environment.
Not everyone can afford to own a big detached house, or leave everything behind, and go and live in an ashram or a monastery.
With the proper mental attitude, ambition, dedication and self discipline, one can attain inner peace wherever he or she happens to be, in a quiet environment or a noisy environment.
A certain spiritual teacher has said that a beginner in meditation is easily distracted even by the noise of a needle falling on the floor, but when well trained, one can meditate in the middle of the noisy market, without being distracted.
You can choose to let noise distract and annoy you. You can also choose to train yourself to stay patient and calm, and to learn to ignore noises when you are not in a position to remove them.
Image source – DepositPhotos
Thank you for reading! To support my website and work, please click on the button below! Thanks in advance!