Peace of mind is one of the top goals everyone wants to achieve.
This state of mind is of uppermost importance in a world full of stress and strain. It can protect your physical, emotional and mental health.
Like most people, I believe that you often yearn for some calmness and getting away from the daily stress, anxiety, and the constant race. You want, at least for a few moments, to live without worries, fears and restless thinking.
Like most people, you want some inner peace in your life. Let’s find out what it is and how to gain it.
What Is Peace of Mind?
How can we define these words?
- Peace of mind is a state of mental and emotional calmness, with no worries, fears or stress.
- In this state, the mind is quiet and tranquil, and you experience a sense of happiness and freedom.
- In this state, the mind does not rush from one thought to another.
Such peaceful moments are not so rare. You have experienced them in the past, at times, when you were engaged in some kind of an absorbing or interesting activity.
Here are a few examples:
- You can experience peaceful moments in the company of someone you love.
- Tranquility fills you when you are absorbed in reading an interesting book.
- You experience this feeling when lying on the sand at the beach on a beautiful day.
- On vacation, your mind becomes calm and relaxed, and you might experience a sort of mental numbness. You forget your work and day-to-day-life, and enjoy calmness and a worry-free state.
- In deep asleep, when you are not aware of anything, your mind is at rest.
- You also experience a feeling of peace and relief from what is troubling you, while watching an entertaining movie or TV program.
Activities like these, take away the mind from its habitual thoughts and worries, and replace them with inner peace, at least for a while.
The question is, how to experience peace of mind in daily life, and more importantly, how do you experience it in times of difficulties and ordeals.
You might also ask, whether it is possible to turn it into a habit, and enjoy it always and under all circumstances.
Actually, there are a few things you can do to enjoy peace in good times, and also in difficult times, as well.
Tips and Advice for Peace of Mind
- Minimize the time you spend on reading newspapers or watching the news on TV. Since most of the news are negative, and you cannot do anything about them, why should you occupy your mind with them and feel stressed and anxious?
- Stay away from negative conversations and from negative people. You don’t want their thoughts and words to sink into your subconscious mind and affect your moods and state of mind.
- Stay away from restless people and stressful people as much as you can. You don’t want their vibes to affect how you feel.
- Don’t hold grudges. Learn to forget and forgive. Nurturing ill feelings and grievances hurts you and causes lack of sleep. Forgiving makes anger and resentment go away.
- Don’t be jealous of other people. Jealousy means that you have low self-esteem, and therefore, consider yourself inferior to other people. Jealousy and low self esteem, often, lead to lack of peace of mind.
- Accept what cannot be changed. This will save you a lot of time, energy and worries. If you can change the situation, that’s fine, but if you cannot, accept it. Accepting things cheerfully creates tranquility.
- Avoid dwelling on the past. The past is gone, so why think about it? Better focus on the present moment. There is no need to evoke unpleasant memories.
- Learn to be more patient and tolerant with family, friends, co-workers, employees, and everyone else. Patience and tolerance enable you to stay peaceful, even in stressful situations.
- When you feel tenseness and anxiety, and when worries occupy your mind, stop what you are doing and practice deep breathing for few moments. Even 4-5 deep, slow breaths will relax you.
- Don’t take everything too personally. A certain degree of emotional detachment is very helpful. It would bring into your life more peace, harmony and common sense.
- Strive to focus on what you are doing or thinking. A focused mind makes it easier to ignore worries and negative thoughts, and slow down the chatter of the mind.
- Meditation is not everyone’s cup of tea, but if you have the time, and are willing to try it, it will make a difference in your life. You will become more peaceful, relaxed and happy.
“The mind is like a room that is always full with a lot of stuff. There is no free space there. When you empty your mind of this stuff, you make room for peace of mind.”
“When the restless activity of your mind slows down, when your thoughts stop rushing like waves on a windy day, then you will start getting glimpses of the sweet taste of inner peace.”
More peace of mind articles.
Image source – DepositPhotos
Did you enjoy reading this post? If you did, we would appreciate if you purchase one of our books.