You might have considered learning to meditate, but you ask what you will get out of it.
The following questions might have crossed your mind:
- Is meditation important?
- What will you get from meditation?
- Why do people meditate?
Meditation Releases Stress
Meditation is a mental – spiritual practice that relaxes the mind and the body, and helps you experience inner peace.
We all experience stress and tension every day, face demands and difficulties at work, at school, or in a relationship, and therefore, need a way to relax and relieve the stress. Meditation is most helpful in all these situations.
Stress, tension, impatience and frustration harm your body, the mind and the quality of life, and you therefore, need a way relieve them and get them out of your system.
You need a way to release all this tension and stress, exhaustion and impatience. You need periodically to relax. This is the reason why we need a vacation every now and then.
The good news is that you can afford to go on a vacation every day, without going away, and without spending money. Meditation is like a vacation from your thoughts, and from your chores, and from your everyday life.
A regular practice of meditation develops inner peace and tranquility, which you carry with you throughout the day, helping you to stay poised in the various situations of your life.
You can enjoy every day a period of freedom from your daily tasks and chores, from stress and problems, and at the same time, renew your energy and experience inner peace.
You Need to Consider to Learn Meditation
Just as in a vacation, when you practice meditation, you leave everything behind, your thoughts, your worries and your problems. It is time to calm down, both mentally and physically and recharge yourself.
- Meditation releases the stress and the tension from your mind and from your body, and makes you calmer and more focused. It also helps you overcome anxiety and worries, and experience inner peace and balance.
- Meditation calms down your restless thinking, and allows you to have control over your mind. It also frees your mind from negative thoughts and from overthinking.
- This practice would improve your ability to focus the mind, think more clearly, and understand faster what you learn.
- It strengthens your intuition, and develops the ability for constructive and creative thinking.
- Meditating will increase your inner strength and endurance. This most helpful in many of life’s situations.
- Practicing regularly will make you more patient, tolerant and considerate. These traits of character are most useful at work and in relationships
- Meditation can help you control and reduce anxiety, worries and fears, and can give courage, a sense of positivity, and poise in difficult situations. A calmer mind is less prone to anxiety and worries.
- Meditation can help you develop a better understanding of yourself and of your behavior. It enables you to look at your thoughts and behavior with less bias, find your good and bad points, and then improve the good points and reduce the bad ones.
- Meditation improves your focus and increase your attention span. The attention span of most people is quite short, and this is counterproductive in all areas of life. A better attention span enables you to study, see details, understand everything better, and helps you keep your brain stronger.
- Regular meditation reduces mental and physical tension and makes it easier to fall asleep at night. Since meditation calms your mind and gives you more control over your mind, it is obvious that when you go to bed at night there will be fewer matters troubling you, and you can therefore, fall asleep faster.
- Meditation is an inner practice, which can get you closer to spiritual awakening, and to the understanding of who you really are. It can take you inward, to your inner self. This is the purpose of many Eastern philosophies and meditation methods.
- Sitting quietly gives you a recess from the daily rush, and lets you, for a while, live in the present moment. This is a great experience.
- This practice has a favorable effect on your physical health. Scientific evidence shows that it can reduce high blood pressure and helps the immune system.
- It is a good practice for reducing anxiety and depression.
- Practicing meditation means practicing mindfulness, living in the present moment, and being aware and focused on what you are doing.
As you keep on meditation every day, the calmness, inner peace, and inner clarity you experience during meditation, will affect your whole day, not just while you are sitting and meditating.
Finding Time for Meditation
Do not say that you cannot find the time for meditation, because with a little planning of your day, you can find the time.
Here are a few suggestions to find the time:
- Get up a little earlier in the morning.
- Arrange to find the time to sit quietly in a park, a garden, or in a quiet place, before going home from work.
- You can arrange with your family not to be disturbed in the morning or evening for 10-20 minutes.
- You can practice meditation in a quiet corner in a church or in other place of worship, and even in your car, if you have no other options.
With a little planning and effort, you can find some 10-20 minutes a day to be alone with yourself for meditation.
People practice many different forms of meditation, which do not require equipment, space or special dress. You can practice with just a few minutes daily, at any time of the day.
There also mindfulness meditation and mindful training.
I believe this short article has shown you the benefits of meditating, and has answered your question as why it is advisable to meditate. If you find this topic interesting and wish to read more, you can find many articles on meditation at this website.