“A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something.”
– Wilson Mizner
Do you dominate the conversation or do you let other people talk too? There are a lot of people who like to talk about themselves, about what they have done and about what they have not done, about their health, ideas, etc. They hardly let other people open their mouths.
People get pleasure from speaking about themselves, but if they always speak about their achievements or their problems, people will get fed up with their egocentricity and would avoid them.
Conversation is a two-way activity. A person, who dominates the conversation, might feel good about it, because he or she attracts all the attention, but he or she might be avoided the next time.
If You Listen to Others, You Will Gain a Lot:
- You will be more appreciated by the people whom you talk to.
- You will get new points of view, new perspectives and new insights.
- You might get some good advice.
- Your relationships with people will be more harmonious.
- People would love your company.
- Listening develops patience and tolerance in the listener.
- Listening to others can help you solve problems, and see new opportunities.
- People will like you more, because people like good listeners.
- Listening to people will help you understand them and their needs, and this would enhance your popularity.
Next time you converse with someone, try to listen more.
Let the other person speak his/her mind.
You might accept or not accept other people’s ideas and points of view.
You might not like to listen to their criticism, and you might not care about their experiences.
However, being patient, tolerant and a good listener will win you more friends, improve your relationships, and get you more useful ideas and practical tips that can help you in many ways.
By being a good listener, you get much more than being a big talker. You learn about other people, and understand what makes them tick.
Listening is an essential part of a good conversation.
“To listen well, is as powerful a means of influence as to talk well, and is as essential to all true conversation.”
– Chinese Proverb
“Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking.”
– Bernard M. Baruch
Learn to Focus Your Attention
Guidance and simple exercises to improve your focus and concentration, increase your attention span, and control your mind and thoughts.
A focused mind is an essential key to success. It helps you avoid making errors, saves you time and energy, and leads you to successful results.More Details
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed reading this article, sign up to receive our free newsletter with articles and updates.