“A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something.”
– Wilson Mizner
Do you dominate the conversation or do you let other people talk too?
There are a lot of people who like to talk about themselves, about what they have done and about what they have not done, about their health, ideas, etc. They hardly let other people open their mouths.
People get pleasure from speaking about themselves, but if they always speak about their achievements or their problems, people will get fed up with their egocentricity and would avoid them.
Conversation is a two-way activity. A person, who dominates the conversation, might feel good about it, because he or she attracts all the attention, but he or she might be avoided the next time.
Why Is It Important to Be a Good Listener
The advantages of being a good listener are:
- You will be more appreciated by the people whom you talk to.
- You will get new points of view and new insights.
- By listening you gain new perspective and useful information. You might get some good advice.
- Your relationships with people will be more harmonious.
- People would love your company.
- listening to others develops patience and tolerance in the listener.
- Listening to others can help you solve problems, and see new opportunities.
- People will like you more, because people like good listeners.
- Being a good listener will help you understand people and their needs, and this would enhance your popularity.
Next time you converse with someone, try to listen more attentively.
Allow the other person speak his/her mind without interruption.
You might accept or not accept other people’s ideas and points of view, but pay attention to their words. This is more than an act of politeness. It is an act of tolerance, friendship, and wisdom.
You might not like to listen to their criticism, and you might not care about their experiences. However, you might learn something.
Being patient, tolerant and a good listener will win you more friends, improve your relationships, and get you more useful ideas and practical tips that can help you in many ways.
Listening Is an Essential Part of a Good Conversation
By being a good listener, you get much more than being a big talker. You learn about other people, and understand what makes them tick.
Listening is an essential part of a good conversation.
When you listen with full attention, you communicate respect and interest to the other person. Being respectful, will win you the respect of other people.
“To listen well, is as powerful a means of influence as to talk well, and is as essential to all true conversation.”
– Chinese Proverb
“Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking.”
– Bernard M. Baruch
“An appreciative listener is always stimulating.”
– Agatha Christie
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
– Stephen R. Covey