Nisargadatta Maharaj (April 17, 1897 – September 8, 1981), was born as Maruti Shivrampant Kambli. He was an Indian spiritual teacher and philosopher of Advaita (Nondualism). According to Nisargadatta, the purpose of spirituality is to know who you are.
Nisargadatta Maharaj words have deep meaning, and meditating on them could awaken deep insight understanding about life and about yourself.
There are many books available, which include translations of his talks and describe his teachings. On this page you will find 35 of his quotes and quotations.
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj Quotes about Mind, Awareness and More
1. When the mind is kept away from its preoccupation, it becomes quiet.
2. Time is in the mind, space is in the mind. The law of cause and effect is also a way of thinking. In reality all is here and now and all is one. Multiplicity and diversity are in the mind only.
3. The mind craves for formulations and definitions, always eager to squeeze reality into a verbal shape.
4. A quiet mind is all you need. All else will happen rightly, once your mind is quiet. As the sun on rising makes the world active, so does self-awareness affect changes in the mind. In the light of calm and steady self-awareness inner energies wake up and work miracles without effort on your part.
5. The mind covers up reality, without knowing it. To know the nature of the mind, you need intelligence, the capacity to look at the mind in silent and dispassionate awareness.
6. Wisdom tells me I am nothing. Love tells me I am everything. And between the two my life flows.
7. Awareness is ever there. It need not be realized. Open the shutter of the mind, and it will be flooded with light.
8. You will receive everything you need when you stop asking for what you do not need.
9. There is nothing to practice. To know yourself, be yourself. To be yourself, stop imagining yourself to be this or that. Just be. Let your true nature emerge. Don’t disturb your mind with seeking.
10. Look at your mind dispassionately; this is enough to calm it. When it is quiet, you can go beyond it. Do not keep it busy all the time. Stop it – and just be. If you give it a rest, it will settle down and recover its purity and strength. Constant thinking makes it decay.
11. The consciousness in you and the consciousness in me, apparently two, really one, seek unity and that is love.
12. The unchangeable can only be realized in silence. Once realized, it will deeply affect the changeable, itself remaining unaffected.
13. All that a guru can tell you is: ‘My dear Sir, you are quite mistaken about yourself. You are not the person you take yourself to be.’
14. Pleasure puts you to sleep and pain wakes you up. If you don’t want to suffer, don’t go to sleep.
15. This attitude of silent observation is the very foundation of yoga. You see the picture, but you are not the picture.
16. When self-control becomes second nature, awareness shifts its focus to deeper levels of existence and action.
17. It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy, truth liberates.
18. Truth is not a reward for good behavior, nor a prize for passing some tests. It cannot be brought about. It is the primary, the unborn, the ancient source of all that is. You are eligible because you are. You need not merit truth. It is your own….Stand still, be quiet.
19. Your first task is to see the sorrow in you and around you; your next, to long intensely for liberation. The very intensity of longing will guide you; you need no other guide.
20. You may die a hundred deaths without a break in the mental turmoil. Or, you may keep your body and die only in the mind. The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom.
21. To locate a thing you need space, to place an event you need time; but the timeless and spaceless defies handling. It makes everything perceivable, yet itself is beyond perception. The mind cannot know what is beyond the mind, but the mind is known by what is beyond it.
22. You are not in the body, the body is in you! The mind is in you. They happen to you. They are there because you find them interesting.
23. Put your awareness to work, not your mind. The mind is not the right instrument for this task. The timeless can be reached only by the timeless. Your body and your mind are born subject to time; only awareness is timeless, even in the now.
24. Your first task is to see the sorrow in you and around you; your next, to long intensely for liberation. The very intensity of longing will guide you; you need no other guide.
25. To me nothing ever happens. There is something changeless, motionless, immovable, rock-like, unassailable; a solid mass of pure being-consciousness-bliss. I am never out of it. Nothing can take me out of it, no torture, no calamity.
26. To me nothing ever happens. There is something changeless, motionless, immovable, rock-like, unassailable; a solid mass of pure being-consciousness-bliss. I am never out of it. Nothing can take me out of it, no torture, no calamity.
27. The world is like a sheet of paper on which something is typed. The reading and the meaning will vary with the reader, but the paper is the common factor, always present, rarely perceived. When the ribbon is removed, typing leaves no trace on the paper. So is my mind – the impressions keep on coming, but no trace is left.
28. There is no such thing as a person. There are only restrictions and limitations. The sum total of these defines the person. The person merely appears to be, like the space within the pot appears to have the shape and volume and smell of the pot.
29. Steady faith is stronger than destiny. Destiny is the result of causes, mostly accidental, and is therefore loosely woven. Confidence and good hope will overcome it easily.
30. Whatever happens, happens to you by you, through you; you are the creator, enjoyer and destroyer of all you perceive.
31. Don’t ask the mind to confirm what is beyond the mind. Direct experience is the only valid confirmation.
32. The world has only as much power over you as you give it. Rebel. Go beyond duality.
33. The sense of ‘I am’ is your own. You cannot part with it, but you can impart it to anything, as in saying, I am young; I am rich, and so on. But such self-identifications are patently false and the cause of bondage.
34. You cannot transcend what you do not know. To go beyond yourself, you must know yourself.
35. The sun is always there, there is no night to it; the mind blinded by the ‘I-am-the-body’ idea spins out endlessly its thread of illusion.
Nisargadatta Maharaj Quotes
Learn to Focus Your Attention
Guidance and simple exercises to improve your focus and concentration, increase your attention span, and control your mind and thoughts.
A focused mind is an essential key to success. It helps you avoid making errors, saves you time and energy, and leads you to successful results.More Details
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed reading this article, sign up to receive our free newsletter with articles and updates.