Have you ever wondered what is concentration and how to strengthen it?
Let’s try to define concentration and explain what it is.
What Is Concentration – Definition
What does concentration mean?
- Concentration is the ability to direct one’s attention in accordance with one’s will.
- It means control of the attention.
- It is the ability to focus the mind on one subject, object or thought without being distracted.
- This is the ability to focus the attention, and at the same time, ignore other unrelated thoughts.
- It also means the ability to do one thing at a time, instead of jumping from one subject to another, and losing attention, time, and energy.
- Concentration is a state, in which one’s whole attention is engrossed in one thing only, and being oblivious to everything else.
- The word concentration means focusing one’s thoughts and attention on one thing or thought.
Concentration means longer attention span, better control of your mind and thoughts, and to focus on one thing at a time.
Concentration definition according to oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com:
“The ability to direct all your effort and attention on one thing, without thinking of other things.”
Concentration definition according to according Macmillan Dictionary:
“The process of giving all your attention to something.”
During concentration, the mind focuses on the object of concentration, and only one thought occupies the mind. The whole energy of the mind becomes concentrated on this one thought.
The ability to command the mind and control the attention is not common, and requires training to sharpen this skill.
Most people lack the ability to control their attention and focus their mind exclusively on one thought subject for any length of time. They can’t command their mind to concentrate, whenever they want to.
You can develop the ability to control your attention, by practicing concentration exercises.
Concentration is not AN Uncommon Activity
It happens almost everyday, to almost everyone, but it is more of a spontaneous and uncontrolled ability. It usually happens, when you are engrossed in something you like or enjoy doing.
- Have you noticed how children don’t even hear you when they are playing? They become fully engrossed in their game, almost oblivious to everything else.
- When you read a book that is very interesting, you do not hear people shouting or calling your name. You become oblivious to your surroundings, and lose any sense of time.
- This also happens when you write an important letter, watch a movie or a game, play chess or cards, or when you are engaged in any other activity that you love doing, is interesting, or is enjoyable.
These examples show that a state of concentrated attention is possible. However, you need to learn to focus in a conscious and intentional manner.
You need to be able to fix your attention not only on pleasurable and enjoyable matters and activities that you love, but also on your chores and tasks, on your work or studies.
Often, you need to focus on boring and uninteresting things. You also need to concentrate on your goals.
Why Concentration Is Important
Being able to concentrate the mind is crucial for success in every area of life, in material and financial matters, self-improvement and meditation.
This ability helps you avoid getting distracted, and saves you time and energy. You need it for handling your daily affairs of life, for pursuing your goals, for developing new habits and abilities, and for meditation and gaining inner peace.
I have pointed out the importance and benefits of concentration in many of my articles.
Here are some of the Benefits:
- A focused mind enables you to carry out everything faster, more efficiently, and with fewer mistakes.
- A focused mind helps you fix your attention on what you are doing and ignore distracting thoughts.
- As your concentration ability improves, the restlessness of your mind would decrease.
- Focusing your attention on what you are doing enables you to act more efficiently and avoid making mistakes. This can save you time and energy.
How to focus Your Attention
Inner Peace in the Busy Daily Life
Improve your concentration!
Increase your attention span!
Learn to Focus Your Attention
If you enjoyed reading my articles, you can thank me by clicking on the button below!