You are most probably familiar with the expression, “Is the glass half empty or half full?”
The answer to this question depends on our point of view.
We can choose to see the positive, or choose to see the negative in every situation.
We can consider certain situations as horrible or bearable, but we can also choose to see not only the bad, but also the silver lining in unpleasant situations.
If we take the question literally, as a real glass, some would say, “It’s a pity that the glass is not full.” Others would look at the half-full glass and say, “Oh, great, I have something to drink.”
Now, ask yourself:
- What do you see when you look at a glass that is half full?
- Do you look at the empty part of the glass, or notice the full part?
People with a negative attitude to life focus on lack and scarcity, and see the empty part of the glass. On the other hand, people with a positive attitude see the full part of the glass, and are happy and pleased to have half a glass to drink.
Here are a few examples that can help you understand what type of thoughts run in your mind.
- What goes on in your mind when your boss asks you to enter into his office?
Do you get tense and stressed?
Do you think that your boss wants to talk about your lack of progress, or maybe fire you?
Or you think that he wants to praise your good work?
- When you cook, do you fear that your family or friends might not like your cooking, or you are confident that they will like it?
- If your boss gives you an important assignment, do you think that it is pure luck, or that you deserve it because you are talented and possess good skills?
- What are your expectations when you study hard?
Do you fear that you will fail, or you believe in yourself and expect to pass the exam?
- Does it surprise you when you come up with a good idea, or you believe in yourself, and know that you can always come up with good ideas?
- Are you often cautious not to get used to the good, not to fall in love, not to trust people, and not to expect happiness, as this might not last long anyway, so why get hurt?
Or you feel that you deserve to be loved, happy and satisfied, and this is what you expect?
The answers to these questions define very clearly how you look at life, and whether your predominant way of thinking is positive or negative.
If you find out that you think positive most of the time, congratulate yourself. However, if you discover that your attitude toward life is negative, you need to start changing it to a positive attitude.
Why Do You Need to Change Your Attitude?
Positive thinking helps you believe in yourself. It gives you hope, motivates you to double your efforts, and keeps you going on, expecting positive results.
On the other hand, negative thinking makes you expect the worst to happen, and fills your mind with thoughts about lack, difficulties and disastrous situations.
Positive thinking reduces the level of restlessness, fear and stress, and increases your self-confidence. It encourages you to believe in yourself, take action, not give up when facing difficulties, and aspire to succeed and fulfill your dreams.
From the book Positive Thinking © by Dorina Sasson and Remez Sasson.
You can learn all about positive thinking in our eBook Positive Thinking.
You can download the eBook immediately after payment, and start learning how to think positive.
As your attitude to life starts to be more positive, you would become a happier, more positive, and more satisfied person, and be able to stay positive even in difficult situations.
About the Author
Dorina Sasson has been trained in Louise L. Hay’s teacher training course, and is a certified teacher for “You can heal your life” study course, and “Love yourself, heal your life” workshop.
Do you wish to succeed? Learn to think positive!
Discover the Power of Positive Thinking