The title of this article is based on the words of Lao Tzu, who said, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
This is true not only for a long journey but also for a short one. In this article, I am not referring to actual journeys or trips but to goals, tasks, and actions. I am referring to everything that requires that you take the first step.
Even the simple action of drinking water from the tap requires walking to the kitchen, opening the tap, and filling the glass with water. If taking the first step is essential for such a simple act of filling a glass with water, it is also vital for achieving any goal, small or big.
If you wait for things to happen, probably nothing will happen. You have to take the initiative and act. You need to take the first step, and then the other steps will follow.
Take the First Step
- Do you wish to use creative visualization and manifestation to achieve your goals and improve your life? You need to start visualizing. This is the first practical step.
- Do you want to change a certain habit? You have to take action.
- Are you interested in learning meditation and making it a part of your life? If so, you need to learn to meditate. Without this step, you will get nowhere.
- Do you need a job? You have to start looking for it.
- Do you want to be rich? You have to start making plans and carry them out.
- Are you keen on achieving success in sports? You need to train your body.
- Do you want to own a business? You need to take the proper steps.
Waiting and doing nothing will not create success or help you achieve your goals, tasks, or chores. You need to act. You need to move toward your goal and not wait for the right time, the right circumstances, or the right mood.
A Journey of a Thousand Miles or a Few Steps
A journey of a thousand miles, or one of just a short distance, needs the first one step.
Often, laziness and inner resistance prevent you from taking the first step. Once you take one step in the direction of your goal, the second step will follow. However, you have to take the first one.
You need to start carrying out what you want or need to do, whether it is sweeping the floor, going to the store to buy milk or bread, learning a new language, finding a new job, starting a business, or becoming a writer. The first step is always important.
Once you make the first step, you gain confidence and your motivation to succeed will grow. It would then be easier to overcome laziness and inner resistance.
It is pleasant to daydream, but to make your daydreams come true, you have to start walking in their direction. You have to take action.
You have to take the first step, and then the second, the third, and all the steps that separate you from your goal. This is valid for every goal, small or big, relating to your job, health, finance, self improvement or spirituality.
Remember the words of Lao Tzu, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”, and act accordingly. Also, remember that not only a long journey begins with one step, the first step, but also a short one too.
Lao Tzu Quotes