The title of this article is based on the words of Lao Tzu, who said, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
This is true not only for a long journey, but also for a short one. In this article, I am not referring to actual journeys or trips, but to goals, tasks and actions. I am referring to everything that requires that you take the first step.
Even the simple action of drinking water from the tap requires that you walk to the kitchen, open the tap, and fill the glass with water. If taking the first step is essential for such a simple act of filling a glass with water, it is of vital importance for achieving any goal, small or big.
If you wait for things to happen, probably, nothing would happen. You have to take the initiative and act. You need to take the first step, and then the other steps would follow.
You Need to Take the First Step
- Do you want to use creative visualization to achieve your goals and imrove your life? You need to start visualizing. This is the first practical step.
- Do you want to change a certain habit? You have to take action.
- Do you want to learn meditation and make it a part of your life? You need to learn to meditate and start meditating. Without the step you will get nowhere.
- Do you need a job? You have to start looking for it.
- Do you want to be rich? You have to start making plans and carry them out.
- Do you want achieve success in sports? You need to train your body.
- Do you want to own a business? You need to take the proper steps.
Waiting, and doing nothing, will not create success, and would not help you achieve your goals, tasks or chores. You need to act. You need to move toward your goal and not wait for the right time, the right circumstances, or the right mood.
Often, laziness and inner resistance prevent you from taking the first step. Once you take one step in the direction of your goal, the second step would follow. However, you have to take the first one.
You need to start carrying out what you want or need to do, whether it is sweeping the floor, going to the store to buy milk or bread, learning a new language, finding a new job, starting a business or becoming a writer. The first step is always important.
Once you make the first step, you gain confidence and your motivation to succeed would grow. It would then be easier to overcome laziness and inner resistance.
It is pleasant to daydream, but to make your daydreams come true you have to start walking in their direction. You have to take action.
You have to take the first step, and then the second, the third, and all the steps that separate you from your goal. This is valid for every goal, small or big, relating to your job, health, finance, self improvement or spirituality.
Remember the words of Lao Tzu, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”, and act accordingly. Also, remember that not only a long journey begins with one step, the first step, but also a short one too.