Do you tend to hold grudges or do you forgive people who have hurt you, or whom you think have hurt you?
Isn’t it better to learn how to forgive? This will take away a heavy rock that you are carrying on your shoulders.
Forgiveness requires inner strength, an open mind, and love. Negative feelings often stand in the way of forgiveness, veiling judgment and common sense.
Often, people feel hurt, when no one even tried to hurt them, because they misinterpret people’s words and actions.
If you don’t forgive:–
- Thoughts and feelings disturb your mind, preventing inner peace.
- You become unhappy.
- You become resentful.
- You become negative.
There is certainly a lot more you can add to this list.
Forgiveness shows maturity, common sense, compassion and a noble character.
If you are able to forgive:
- You gain inner peace.
- You free your mind of nonstop negative thinking.
- You don’t let thoughts and feelings rule your actions and reactions.
- You don’t let people and external circumstances control your life.
- You open new doors to better things in your life.
It is important to learn how to forgive people.
If you do not forgive you hurt yourself.
It is you who constantly think about the person or incident that made you feel hurt. It is you who is constantly tormented by it. It is you who are carrying this burden on your shoulders.
You remove this rock, this burden from your shoulders, once you truly forgive and let go.
Forgiveness Is a Process
Forgiveness is a process that takes some time to accomplish, but it is possible.
Forgiveness means that you stop thinking negative thoughts and being obsessed and disturbed by the incident that made you feel being hurt.
This means that you clear your mind of the hurt feelings by focusing on positive and happy matters, and refuse to engage in negative inner conversations.
It also means that you clear your mind of any hate, resentment or anger toward the person that hurt or seemingly hurt you.
How to Learn to Forgive?
Here are a few simple suggestions to help you start learning how to forgive people.
- Be more aware of unforgiving thoughts and feelings that arise within you. Be on guard not to dwell on them. Dwelling on the, make them grow.
- Do your best not to take everything too personally.
- Try to be more emotionally and mentally detached.
- If you can, learn to meditate. This would also help you be more forgiving.
- Try to show more love and compassion.
- Let go of the past. Don’t let it hold you back. The past is gone, and dwelling on it would not help you.
Holding grudges, resentment or anger is like being tied to a chain that limits your actions and thinking. It means that you allow others to control your mind and your life.
Forgiveness equals inner freedom.
Forgiveness is another important step toward spiritual growth.
“To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.”
– Robert Muller
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed reading this article, subscribe to our free newsletter to receive articles and updates.