Do you tend to hold grudges, or do you forgive people who have hurt you intentionally or unintentionally?
You will feel better if you learn how to forgive. This will take away the heavy rock that you are carrying on your shoulders.
Forgiveness requires inner strength, an open mind, and love.
Anger and resentment often stand in the way of forgiveness, veiling judgment and common sense, and you will need to resist them.
Often, people feel hurt, when no one even tried to hurt them, because they misinterpret people’s words and actions.
You Should Learn to Forgive
No matter how hard it is, you need to forgive. You need to forgive yourself for things you regret about, and forgive others for their actions and words.
If you don’t forgive:
- Thoughts and feelings would disturb your mind, denying you inner peace.
- You become unhappy and lose joy.
- You become a resentful, grumpy person.
- You develop a negative attitude toward people and toward life.
There is certainly a lot more you can add to this list.
Forgiveness shows maturity, common sense, compassion and a noble character.
If you are able to forgive:
- You gain inner peace.
- You free your mind of nonstop negative thinking.
- You don’t let thoughts and feelings rule your actions and reactions.
- You don’t let people and external circumstances control your life.
- You open new doors to better things in your life.
It is important to learn how to forgive people.
If you do not forgive you hurt yourself.
It is you, who constantly think about the person or incident that made you feel hurt. It is you, who is constantly tormenting yourself, and carrying this burden on your shoulders.
You remove this rock, this burden from your shoulders, by forgiving yourself and other people and letting go of the past.
Forgiveness Is a Process
Forgiveness is a process that takes some time to accomplish, but it is possible.
Forgiveness means that you stop thinking negative thoughts and being obsessed and disturbed by the incident that made you feel being hurt.
This means that you clear your mind of the hurt feelings by focusing on positive and happy matters, and refuse to engage in negative inner conversations.
It also means that you clear your mind of any hate, resentment or anger toward the person that hurt or seemingly hurt you.
How to Learn to Forgive?
Here are a few simple tips to help you start learning how to forgive.
- Be more aware of unforgiving thoughts and feelings that arise within you. Be on guard not to dwell on them. Dwelling on them, makes them grow.
- Do your best to stop taking everything too personally.
- Try to be more emotionally and mentally detached.
- It would be great if you learn to meditate. Even a few minutes a day would be helpful. This would also help you be more forgiving.
- Try to show more love and compassion to others and to yourself.
- Let go of the past. Don’t let it hold you back. The past is gone, and dwelling on it would not help you.
Holding grudges, resentment or anger is like being tied to a chain that limits your actions and thinking. It means that you allow others to control your mind and your life.
Releasing grudges brings inner peace, and to release them you need to forgive.
Forgiveness equals inner freedom.
Forgiveness is another important step toward spiritual growth.
“To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.”
– Robert Muller
You might like reading more forgiveness quotes.