Positive thinking is a mental and emotional attitude that focuses on optimistic and positive thoughts and expects positive results.
People with positive thinking mentality look at the bright side of life and anticipate happiness, health and success. Such people, are confident that they can overcome any obstacle and difficulty they might face.
Positive thinking is not a concept that everyone believes and follows. Some, consider it as nonsense, and scoff at people who believe in it. However, there is a growing number of people, who accept the power of positive thinking as a fact, and believe in its effectiveness.
This subject is gaining popularity, as evidenced by the many books, lectures and courses about it.
To take advantage of the power of positive thinking in your life, you need to do more than just be aware of its existence or believe in it. You need to adopt the attitude of positive thinking in everything you do.
Who brought this concept to public awareness?
Norman Vincent Peale was an American minister and author, who popularized the concept of positive thinking, especially through his book ‘The Power of Positive Thinking’, which was published in 1952.
In his book, which is still popular nowadays, he provided practical instructions designed to help the reader achieve an optimistic attitude. His techniques involved using affirmations and visualizations.
How the Power Positive Thinking Works
The following stories illustrate how the power of positive thinking works.
Richard applied for a new job, but he didn’t believe he will get it, since his self-esteem was low, and he considered himself as a failure and unworthy of success.
He had a negative attitude toward himself, and therefore, believed that the other applicants were better and more qualified than him.
Richard’s mind was occupied with negative thoughts and fears concerning the job, for the whole week preceding the job interview. He actually, anticipated failure.
Ad - Continue reading below.
On the day of the interview, he got up late, and to his horror he discovered that the shirt he planned to wear was dirty, and the other one needed ironing. As it was already too late, he went out wearing a wrinkled shirt and without eating breakfast.
During the interview, Richard was tense, negative, hungry and worried about his shirt. All this, distracted his mind and made it difficult for him to focus on the interview. His overall behavior made a bad impression, and consequently, he materialized his fear and did not get the job.
The second story is about Jim, who applied for the same job too, but approached the matter in a different way. He was sure and confident that he was going to get the job and had a good measure of self-esteem.
During the week preceding the interview, Jim often visualized himself making a good impression and getting the job. He also and repeated affirmations to that effect.
In the evening before the interview, he prepared the clothes he was going to wear, and went to sleep a little earlier. On day of the interview, he woke up earlier than usual, and had ample time to eat breakfast, and then to arrive to the interview before the scheduled time.
Who eventually got the job? It was Jim, because he made a good impression, and therefore, was hired for the job.
What do we learn from these two stories?
Was there any magic used?
No, everything happened in a natural way. The difference was in attitude, behavior and approach.
Positive Thinking Is a Way of Life
With a positive attitude we experience pleasant and happy feelings. This brings brightness to the eyes, more energy, and happiness. Our whole being broadcasts good will, happiness and success. Even our health is affected in a beneficial way. We walk tall, our voice is more powerful, and our body language shows the way we feel.
Positive and negative thinking are contagious.
We affect, and are affected by the people we meet, in one way or another. This happens instinctively and on a subconscious level, through words, thoughts and feelings, and through body language.
Is it any wonder that we want to be around positive people and prefer to avoid negative people?
People are more disposed to help us, if we are positive and in a good mood. Most people dislike and avoid anyone broadcasting negativity.
Negative thoughts, words and attitude, create negative and unhappy feelings, moods and behavior. When the mind is negative, poisons are released into the blood, which cause more unhappiness and negativity. This is the way to failure, frustration and disappointment.
The Benefits of Positive Outlook
A positive mental attitude affects many aspects of life in a favorable way. It affects career and success, health and state of mind, and everything else in every area of your life.
- It has a good effect on your mental health and emotional health, because it makes you more confident and happy, and therefore, less worried and anxious.
- This kind of mindset reduces stress and anxiety. Less stress and anxiety means better immunity system and improved physical health.
- It makes you more optimistic, friendly and considerate, and this of course, can improve your relations with people.
- With this attitude, you program your mind to be aware of opportunities to improve your life, and you have the confidence to take advantage of these opportunities.
- With this mental outlook, you feel more motivated, and can more easily motivate people to improve themselves and their life.
- With a positive frame of mind there is faster recuperation, both physically and emotionally.
- It helps you avoid negative self talk and shift to positive self talk.
- This kind of outlook is one of the main keys to success, since you expect only constructive results, and no other option.
- Focusing on positive thoughts awakens positive emotions and contributes to making people happy people.
Obtaining the above mentioned results requires some training of the mind and changing its focus from negativity to positivity. There are various techniques that can help you make this shift.
Harnessing the Power of Positive Thinking
In order to turn the mind toward the positive, some inner work is required, since attitude and thoughts do not change overnight.
Here are a few instructions and tips for harnessing this power and using it effectively:
- Read books and articles about this topic, think about its benefits, and persuade yourself to try it.
- Realize that the power of your thoughts is a mighty power that is always shaping your life. This is usually a subconscious process, but it is possible to make the process a conscious one. Even if the idea seems strange to you, give it a try. Strive being more conscious of what is going on in your mind.
- It might happen that friends or family members might try to dissuade you from changing your attitude and way of thinking. If this happens, ignore what say or think about you.
- Use your imagination to visualize only favorable and beneficial situations.
- Use positive words in your inner dialogues, or when talking with others.
- Smile a little more.
- Once a negative thought enters your mind, you have to be aware of it, and strive to replace it with a constructive one.
- If the negative thought returns, replace it again with a positive one. It is as if there are two pictures in front of you, and you have to choose to look at one of them, and disregard the other. Persistence will eventually teach your mind to think positively and ignore negative thoughts.
- In case you experience inner resistance and difficulties when replacing negative thoughts with positive ones, do not give up, but keep looking only at the beneficial, good and happy thoughts in your mind.
- It doesn’t matter what your circumstances are at the present moment. Think positively, expect only favorable results and situations, and circumstances will change accordingly. If you persevere, you will transform the way your mind thinks. It might take some time for the changes to take place, but eventually they will.
- Another useful technique is the repetition of affirmations. This technique is similar to creative visualization, and can be used together with it.
Positive Thinking Words and Phrases
Add constructive, optimistic, helpful and encouraging words to your conversations. While thinking, strive to use such words too, to drive away negative thoughts and negative words.
In this way, you will change your mindset from negative to positive, and your life will change accordingly. This will also make you more popular and liked by the people around you and the people you meet.
Here Is a List of Words to Use:
Happy, Successful, Satisfied, Joy, Encouragement, Motivated, Agreeable, Attractive, Beautiful, Charming, Kind, Patient, Accomplish, Creative, Harmony, Inspirational, Constructive, Helpful.
Here Is a List of Phrases to Use:
- I feel good.
- My life are constantly improving.
- I can.
- I am able.
- It is possible.
- It is within my reach.
- Everything will turn out well.
- I am optimistic and expect good things to happen.
- I expect the best, aspire for the best, and do my best.
- I appreciate the goods things in my life and thank the Universe for them.
- Day by day, my life is improving in every way.
- I welcome every day with love and joy.
- I can and I will accomplish my goals.
For more phrases read 35 Positive Thinking Phrases to Change Your Life.
Positive Thinking Quotes
“Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A world of optimism and hope. A ‘you can do it’ when things are tough.”
“If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges.”
“Don’t be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.”
“Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.”
“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”
“It’s not the situation, but whether we react negative or respond positive to the situation that is important.”
“Adopting a really positive attitude can work wonders to adding years to your life, a spring to your step, a sparkle to your eye, and all of that.”
The other articles at this website, about the power of concentration, willpower, self-discipline and peace of mind, also contribute to the development of a positive mind, and are recommended for reading and practicing.
Image source – DepositPhotos