What is positive thinking and how can we define it?
- Positive thinking is a mental and emotional attitude that focuses on optimistic and positive thoughts, and expects positive results.
- It is an attitude of a positive mentality, which looks at the bright side of life and anticipates happiness, health and success.
- It is an optimistic state of mind.
- People who possess this attitude are confident, and believe that they will overcome any obstacle or difficulty they might face.
To take advantage of the power of positive thinking, you need to practice it.
How the Power Positive Thinking Works
Does positive thinking really work? Can it change your life?
The following stories illustrate examples of how the power of positive thinking works.
Richard’s Negative Attitude
Richard applied for a new job, though he didn’t believe he will get it. He had low self-esteem, and considered himself as a failure and unworthy of success.
He had a negative attitude about himself. This made him believe that the other applicants were better qualified than him. So, he anticipated failure.
On the day of the interview, Richard got up late in the morning. While getting dressed, he discovered to his dismay that the shirt he planned to wear was dirty.
He looked for another shirt, but all his shirts needed ironing.
As it was already too late, he went out wearing a wrinkled shirt and without eating breakfast.
During the interview, Richard was tense, negative, hungry, and worried about his shirt. All this, distracted his attention and made it difficult for him to focus on the interview.
Richard’s behavior made a bad impression, and consequently, he materialized his fear and did not get the job.
Jim’s Positive Mindset
Ad - Continue reading below.
The second story is about Jim, who applied for the same job too. He was sure and confident that he was going to get the job and had a good measure of self-esteem.
During the week preceding the interview, Jim often visualized himself making a good impression and getting the job. He also and repeated Positive affirmations to that effect.
In the evening before the interview, Jim prepared the clothes he was going to wear, and went to sleep a little earlier than usual.
On day of the interview he woke up early, and had ample time to eat breakfast and to arrive to the interview before the scheduled hour.
Jim stayed calm and confident during the interview, made a good impression, and got the job.
These stories show that attitude, behavior and approach play a major part in life.
The Benefits of Positive Thinking
What are the the benefits of positive Thinking?
- A positive mental attitude produces positive thoughts, which can affect many aspects of life in a favorable way.
- This kind of attitude improves your mental health, emotional health, immunity system and physical health.
- There is reduction of stress and anxiety, and increase of confidence and happiness.
- Such a state of mind makes you more optimistic, friendly and considerate, and this improves your relationships with people.
- With this mental outlook, you become more motivated, and can motivate people to improve themselves and their life.
- You avoid negative self talk and substitute it with positive self talk.
- A mental attitude that focuses on good and positive thoughts awakens positive emotions. It drives away negative emotions.
Norman Vincent Peale and Positive Thinking
In 1952, Norman Vincent Peale published his book ‘The Power of Positive Thinking’. This book, popularized the concept of positive thinking.
In his book, which is still popular nowadays, Peale provided practical instructions designed to help the reader achieve an optimistic attitude. His techniques involved affirmations and visualizations.
How to Think Positive?
In order to turn the mind toward the positive, some inner work is required, since attitude and thoughts do not change overnight.
Here are a few tips for harnessing this power and changing your attitude:
- Read books and articles about this topic and think often about its benefits.
- Avoid the company of people who express negative thoughts and negative feelings.
- Use your imagination to visualize only favorable and beneficial situations and avoid imagining problems and failure. This will set the law of attraction into action, bringing positive changes into your life.
- Use positive words in your inner dialogues, and when talking with others. Use words such as “it’s possible”, “I can” and “I am able”.
- Always find reasons to smile. This would help you feel good and maintain more harmonious relations with people.
- Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Always focus only on good and happy thoughts.
- Think positively, expect only favorable results and situations, and circumstances will change accordingly.
- Repeat affirmations to change your mindset.
Image source – DepositPhotos