What Is Positive Thinking?
Here are a few definitions:
Positive thinking is a mental and emotional attitude that focuses on optimistic and positive thoughts, and expects positive results.
It is an attitude of a positive mentality, which looks at the bright side of life and anticipates happiness, health and success.
People who possess this attitude are confident, and believe that they will overcome any obstacle or difficulty they might face.
To take advantage of the power of positive thinking, you need to practice it.
“When you expect the best to happen you create positive vibes, which affect your mindset, your environment, and the people around you.”
Norman Vincent Peale and Positive Thinking
“Promise yourself success at the beginning of each day, and you’ll be surprised how often things will turn out that way.”
– Norman Vincent Peale
In 1952, Norman Vincent Peale published his book ‘The Power of Positive Thinking’. This book, popularized the concept of positive thinking.
In his book, which is still popular nowadays, Peale provided practical instructions designed to help the reader achieve an optimistic attitude. His techniques involved affirmations and visualizations.
How the Power Positive Thinking Works
Positive thinking is not a concept that everyone believes and follows.
Some, consider it as nonsense, and scoff at people who believe in it.
However, there is a growing number of people, who accept this concept as a fact, and believe in its effectiveness.
The following stories illustrate how the power of positive thinking works.
Ad - Continue reading below.
Richard applied for a new job, though he didn’t believe he will get it. He had low self-esteem, and considered himself as a failure and unworthy of success.
Since he had a negative attitude about himself, he believed that the other applicants were better and more qualified than him, and therefore, he anticipated failure.
On the day of the interview, Richard got up late in the morning.
When he started getting dressed, he discovered that the shirt he planned to wear was dirty and the other one needed ironing.
As it was already too late, he went out wearing a wrinkled shirt and without eating breakfast.
During the interview, Richard was tense, negative, hungry, and worried about his shirt.
All this, distracted his mind and made it difficult for him to focus on the interview.
Richard’s behavior made a bad impression, and consequently, he materialized his fear and did not get the job.
The second story is about Jim, who applied for the same job too. He was sure and confident that he was going to get the job and had a good measure of self-esteem.
During the week preceding the interview, Jim often visualized himself making a good impression and getting the job. He also and repeated Positive affirmations to that effect.
In the evening before the interview, Jim prepared the clothes he was going to wear, and went to sleep a little earlier than usual.
On day of the interview he woke up earlier than usual, and had ample time to eat breakfast and to arrive to the interview before the scheduled hour.
All this helped Jim stay calm and confident during the interview and make a good impression.
Who do you think has eventually got the job? It was Jim of course, because he made a better impression.
What do we learn from these two stories?
Did Jim use any kind of magic to get the job? No! The difference between Richard and Jim was in their attitude, behavior and approach.
The Benefits of Positive Thoughts
A positive mental attitude produces positive thoughts, which affect many aspects of life in a favorable way, career, success, health and state of mind.
- This kind of attitude has a good effect on your mental health and emotional health, because it makes you more confident and happy, and less worried and anxious.
- This kind of mindset reduces stress and anxiety. Less stress and anxiety means better immunity system and improved physical health.
- Such a state of mind makes you more optimistic, friendly and considerate, and this improves your relations with people.
- This attitude conditions your mind to be aware of opportunities that can improve your life.
- With this mental outlook, you feel more motivated, and can more easily motivate people to improve themselves and their life.
- With a positive frame of mind there is faster recuperation, both physically and emotionally.
- It helps you avoid negative self talk and shift to positive self talk.
- This kind of outlook is one of the main keys to success, since you expect constructive results in all areas of life.
- A mental attitude that focuses on the good and on positive thoughts awakens positive emotions, drives away negative emotions, and positively affects the environment.
How to Think Positive?
In order to turn the mind toward the positive, some inner work is required, since attitude and thoughts do not change overnight.
Here are a few tips for harnessing this power and changing your attitude:
- Read books and articles about this topic, think often about its benefits, and persuade yourself to try it.
- Avoid listening to people, who try to dissuade you from changing your attitude and way of thinking.
- Use your imagination to visualize only favorable and beneficial situations and avoid imagining problems and failure.
- Use positive words in your inner dialogues, or when talking with others, such as “it’s possible”, “I can” and “I am able”.
- Always find reasons to smile. This would help you feel good and maintain more harmonious relations with people.
- Once a negative thought enters your mind, you have to be aware of it, and strive to replace it with a constructive one.
- Persistence will eventually teach your mind to think positively and ignore negative thoughts.
- In case you experience inner resistance when replacing negative thoughts with positive ones, do not give up. Keep looking only at the good and happy thoughts in your mind.
- Think positively, expect only favorable results and situations, and circumstances will change accordingly. If you persevere, you will transform the way your mind thinks. It might take some time for the changes to take place, but eventually they will.
- Another useful technique is the repetition of affirmations. This technique is similar to creative visualization, and can be used together with it.
- Learning about the law of attraction can help you too.
Image source – DepositPhotos
Did you enjoy reading this post? If you did, we would appreciate if you purchase one of our books.